Moon Phase related to Rut

Woodtick

There has been alot of talk about the moon phase related to the rut. With this years full moon late in October, all indications are that the peak of the rut will be later in November than in previous years.

I would like your opinion on this theory and how/when you plan to hunt. Also, I see that several of you are planning vacations late in October and early in November. I haven't nailed my dates down yet. I'm waiting to see what the activity is like and will decide then. Right now I am leaning towards the later part of November, especially with the Thanksgiving doe season cancelled.

Let me know your thoughts.

Safe and successful hunts to all!

Woodtick

Moon phase is important but temp and day length matters just as much. So the first week if November I will be out.

I agree that weather will have more of an influence.

I'm not planning anything different based on the moon phase. looking back at my notes shows that the last time we experienced a late 2nd full moon was 2007. The weather that year was cold towards end of Oct. and hunting was great...then it got hot and windy during the first 10days of november and then it got really windy. Thanksgiving was pretty active that year.

One thing that will help this season is that due to the drought, nearly all the crops will be out...so the bucks will have limited hiding places.

I've used this website for the past couple seasons. It's been more accurate than not, but your experience may be different. http://www.usprimetimes.com/

I'm taking next Monday off...and then my vacation is set to allow me to hunt from the 7th - 14th. I really hope I'm done next weekend:D

In my opinion, moon phase is least important when compared to day length, weather, and hunting pressure. The properties I hunt suggest that I be there just before the first of Nov, through the first week and a half; then again right after thanksgiving. Year after year after year. Weather being the most important for daytime activity.

turtlshell said:
I agree that weather will have more of an influence.

I'm not planning anything different based on the moon phase.

X2 i beleive its more based on temps than what phase were in.

Cool website. I've put in some hours this last week in the stand, and have been wondering why I haven't seen anything. 2 does in close to 20 hours of stand time. :drink1:

Yeah, this is the hardest time of the year to stay patient. It will be getting better soon...just don't burn out your spots before it gets good. Let the neighbors do that:way:

Back