Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moon Phase

jcutter

How many of you watch the moon phase during the rut? I have seen alot more daytime activity and personally killed more deer during a dark moon phase. (deer moving mroe of a night with a brighter moon)
The moon will be full around the 6th of November which is typically a great day to hunt. How will this affect you guys if it does at all?

Last edited:
The moon to me has no bearing on when, where, or how i hunt. Moon or no moon sitting in a stand all day in november will yeild positive results.
High pressure, a front coming through or a drastic drop in temperature in my opinion influence deer movement more than the big cheese in the sky.
I try not to get wrapped up in the moon phase, early rut, late rut, trickle rut stuff and just park my behind in a tree as many hrs as i can from the 1st-3rd week of november.

How many of you watch the moon phase during the rut? I have seen alot more daytime activity and personally killed more deer during a dark moon phase. (deer moving mroe of a night with a brighter moon) The moon will be full around the 6th of November which is typically a great day to hunt. How will this affect you guys if it does at all?

The moon effects every mammal and deer are no different. Does it control breeding no, does it have effect on movement absolutely. Obviously when a guy takes 3 weeks off he's not going to notice it!

The moon means nothing to me. I know its up there but I will never even begin to understand it nor will any one else so I just hunt when ever I can

Actually people do understand it. Bright moon=more nighttime activity=less daytime movement. The rut will be the rut and does will be bred around the same time every year. How much of it we get to see depends on a few things....including the moon.

My favorite time to hunt during a bright moon is mid-day between 10:00am and 2:00 pm.

The moon to me has no bearing on when, where, or how i hunt. Moon or no moon sitting in a stand all day in november will yeild positive results.
High pressure, a front coming through or a drastic drop in temperature in my opinion influence deer movement more than the big cheese in the sky.
I try not to get wrapped up in the moon phase, early rut, late rut, trickle rut stuff and just park my behind in a tree as many hrs as i can from the 1st-3rd week of november.

This^^^^^^

During full moon periods I notice increased midday and early afternoon movement. The fact that it lands when bucks should be running crazy is even better. I will not be leaving stand any of those days around the full moon.

I have killed bucks on full moons and new moons so ya it doesn't mean nothing to me. There is so much more than just full moons that come into play

This x 3.

I have caught the bulk of my muskies during moon rise and set, so I do keep an eye on it, and believe that there is more deer activity during those times for some reason, but watching the pressure has had a way bigger correlation for me.

Top Bottom