Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

more details on mock scrapes

WVBOWHNTR

<span style='font-family: Verdana'>As a follow-up to gibbo80's post a couple weeks back about mock scrapes, I had a few questions myself.

I have a couple of good stand locations I want to try to make better, and am going to experiment with mock scrapes this fall, specifically creating a scrape and then hanging one of the new Code Blue Drop Time Scent Dispenser.

First, has anyone used one of the scrape "drippers"? If so, what type of scent (including brand) did the deer respond to best?

From what I have read, starting out with a dominant buck urine early and then switching over to a doe-in-heat scent closer to the rut seems to be the ticket.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions you all may have.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd give it a try, but use them with caution...that's the only advice I have. </div></div>

Can you explain why to use with caution. I have always wondered if a drip would work very well. I know that deer near my home seem to be very suspicious of new deer scents that we use during the season. I don't think they recognize it and it freaks them a little bit. Any other disadvantages to using a drip?

From what I have read and heard, and my own experience, leaving your scent all over, negates the possible advantage. I have read of experiences of mock scrapes and scent working but the negatives stories have outweighed the positive. I tried two mock scrapes with urine powder that was supposed to last. They were ignored, while natural scrapes were in my area these mocks were completely avoided. So personally I am going to keep letting the deer do their thing and keep me and my scent out of their way as much as possible.

I have continued my research on the internet and people have all said they work great but you need to make sure you have rubber boots and gloves on the whole time. The best idea i have heard was transplanting scrapes. You find two scrapes and switch the soil. The disadvantage of this is you will probably scare one buck away and the two scapes need to be a good distance apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bucknduck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd give it a try, but use them with caution...that's the only advice I have. </div></div>

Can you explain why to use with caution. I have always wondered if a drip would work very well. I know that deer near my home seem to be very suspicious of new deer scents that we use during the season. I don't think they recognize it and it freaks them a little bit. Any other disadvantages to using a drip? </div></div>

Exactly. In my experience, anything that is bottled has contaminated my hunting area, so I quit buying them. I always see a lot more mature bucks when I don't make mock scrapes w/ scent or put out scent bombs, etc. The best scent to use is a fresh killed doe tarsal gland that was in heat. The few times I've done that I've had success, but it got to a point where I don't like killing does in November, and messing with those stinky glands isn't my cup of tea.

If you have a stand on a transition zone or intersection and have a lot of deer on your ground, you don't need scent anyways. There's already plenty of natural deer scent floating around the timber.

Top Bottom