Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More questions about this site.

BarrowBoy

Will there be an off-topic forum in the near future?

Will there be more hunting categories here? For example, hunting non-deer species in Iowa as dove, fox, pheasant, duck, hog and coyote?

Why are some categories grayed out?

Where are the posting rules?

Will there be an off-topic forum in the near future?

Will there be more hunting categories here? For example, hunting non-deer species in Iowa as dove, fox, pheasant, duck, hog and coyote?

Why are some categories grayed out?

Where are the posting rules?
We can do that!
I’ll work on some rules. The beauty is…. They usually aren’t needed. “Don’t be a d-bag”. “Use common sense”. That’s about it. ;).

My $0.02 on an "off topic" forum is that it drags a site down. This is a hunting/outdoors/management site only IMO. If you throw a forum up that allows people to start posting current events/politics/etc it will only get ugly, fast. Those personal thoughts will NEVER stay in that one forum, opinions and snarky comments will spill over to other forums within a week no matter what.

I used to frequent another site, and as soon as they put a political forum up I was instantly turned off. Whenever the "new posts/topics" tab was tapped it was just pure garbage. One day there'd be 1 off topic post and a week later fully half of the new topics were off topic. That garbage instantly led to bickering/fighting and ultimately total hog wash that would make its way into other threads .

Keep this a hunting site only, if you want world current events, go to your preferred news site and keep it there.

As far as other hunting forums goes, they're sometimes useful but most any other hunting post could just be thrown in the "Iowa Outdoors" forum.

My $0.02 on an "off topic" forum is that it drags a site down. This is a hunting/outdoors/management site only IMO. If you throw a forum up that allows people to start posting current events/politics/etc it will only get ugly, fast. Those personal thoughts will NEVER stay in that one forum, opinions and snarky comments will spill over to other forums within a week no matter what.

I used to frequent another site, and as soon as they put a political forum up I was instantly turned off. Whenever the "new posts/topics" tab was tapped it was just pure garbage. One day there'd be 1 off topic post and a week later fully half of the new topics were off topic. That garbage instantly led to bickering/fighting and ultimately total hog wash that would make its way into other threads .

Keep this a hunting site only, if you want world current events, go to your preferred news site and keep it there.

As far as other hunting forums goes, they're sometimes useful but most any other hunting post could just be thrown in the "Iowa Outdoors" forum.
I agree, less is more when it comes to forums imo.

I noticed there is a Fishing and Longbeards category at this site so there seems to a limited scope of game/fish species here. As a future resident I would chiefly be interested in deer and upland birds.

I've been food prepping for the week and sampling some Ben Holliday.... so the filter is getting loose...

This is "Iowa WHITETAIL" dot com... keep it Iowa, keep it whitetail and keep it REAL simple.
I noticed there is a Fishing and Longbeards category at this site so there seems to a limited scope of game/fish species here. As a future resident I would chiefly be interested in deer and upland birds.

I hear what you're saying there big car. I paint with a broad brush so anything "upland birds" could be stowed in the longbeard or outdoors forums.

Mostly what I want to be able to do when I come on to this site is see the forums / threads I'm actively participating in that have been updated since I was last on. I have a (4) in my open tab, indicating that there are 4 new activitiy items, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to them. Not like the previous site design. Is this a glitch, or am I just having a sometimers moment?

Oh, and now that I'm going to leave, I won't be able to get back here to see any responses, unless I hunt down this specific thread.

I just use the "new posts" link to see what has happened since I last visited. You can get to it from the hamburger menu (4 horizontal lines) at the top of the page, select Forums and then New Posts. Or, it is often a direct link under the ads on the main page called "New Posts"

I just use the "new posts" link to see what has happened since I last visited. You can get to it from the hamburger menu (4 horizontal lines) at the top of the page, select Forums and then New Posts. Or, it is often a direct link under the ads on the main page called "New Posts"
That's what I've been doing, but don't like it, as sometimes I'm not back for a while, and my have multiple items that I've been active in. Seems the functionality of the previous Site has taken a step backwards if this function doesn't come back. I work in IT and have come to embrace KISS to the point that I quickly abandon tech tools that take steps backward. Dangit.

Top Bottom