Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More Yotes this Year?

NebraskaWhitetail

Has anyone beside be been seeing (and/or hearing) more coyotes this year than usual? A bad mange epidemic has definitely had an effect on the populations around here over the past few years, but I've seen more coyotes this year while hunting deer than ever before. Have had at least one under the stand each time I've been out. Just curious if anyone else was observing anything like this where they hunt?

Havent seen or heard as many yotes this fall compared to last but the wild dog population sure has picked up. Between the neighbor and I we have put a arrow through 3 already.

saw a pack of 5 last week -1 .should of got two but heard me draw back
grin.gif

On the stray dogs? didnt even think they would pay for the furs of dogs.
Guess I learn something new everyday.
Pretty much just left them as coyote/bobcat meat

I'm seeing more yotes this year (and hearing them!). Right at dark Friday night, I had a yote start across the valley towards my stand on a ridge right. It stopped when it hit the brush, looked up, turned and went the other way. Since it was too late to shoot and I figured the yote would have chased any deer off. I started taking the Lone Wolf down. Just as I'm heading for the road, a yote starts howling up by the road. Another one (I'm thinking the one I just saw) answers back, so I'm between them, neither one is 100 yards away. The one I saw was a big cuss, too.

Hunting the same ridge this morning, I heard all kinds of racket about a half mile off down at the river. It sounded like someone lost their coon dogs last night and the dogs were still getting after it. Hoped that they would send something my way, but no luck.

As far as selling dog hides, I used to sell furs to Ludy Sheda in Chelsea, Ia. He'd buy ANY fur you brought in, cat, dog, horse, you name it. Cats were worth a quarter (circa 1978). I got three bucks for two skinned skunks. Last skunks I ever skinned!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As far as selling dog hides, I used to sell furs to Ludy Sheda in Chelsea, Ia. He'd buy ANY fur you brought in, cat, dog, horse, you name it. Cats were worth a quarter (circa 1978). I got three bucks for two skinned skunks. Last skunks I ever skinned!
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a name I havent heard in a while! Did you ever eat the candy?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever eat the candy?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif
Clueless on the candy, but I'm guessing that is maybe a good thing?
shrug[1].gif

Ludy was quite the character, God rest his soul.

It was the mid 80's when we went there and he always had a big bowl of unwrapped hard candy on the counter. He would always tell us guys "here have some candy!" It was pretty nasty looking!! Timber Pig can relate!!

Ludy Sheda was an Iowa Icon. When Mary died he just withered away without her. It was sad to see him go. His business was quite the spectacle.

Ludy amazed me when I sold furs one January at the close of season. He looked at my muskrats and told me I trapped in Tama County. Maybe he remembered who I was but I seriously doubt it with the traffic that went through his place (and I was a pretty low volume customer). He then looked at a fox pelt and told me the day I trapped it. I think he really knew his trade.

Sorry for the hijack on the thread. To get back to it, where do people sell furs these days? Looks like the 'coons, muskrats and yote populations are up (so I guess the prices will be down
frown.gif
). Who buys furs in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids/Tipton area?

I only sold to him a couple of times through the years, but he was an American original if ever there was one!
grin.gif

I do remember the candy dish too and I declined his offer!

The yotes are thick down here...I'm not sure what their success rate is for taking fawns though.

Top Bottom