Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moultrie M-80

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
I went to Bass Pro last night with the intention of adding to my trail cam collection. I noticed that the new Moultrie's are out. The M-100 and M-80 priced at $199 and $139. I couldn't see spending the $199 to get camo and a couple different camera modes, so I bought the M-80 and some camo tape.

I like the two Moultrie 55's that I have but was curious if anybody beat me to the punch and have already used the M-80 and could provide me some feedback on it. It looks like a nice mini camera.

The new feature is the Plot Watch mode that records video for a pre determined time 15 minutes before and after sunrise and sunset. Is this feature worth having on? Also, does it continue to trigger pictures when it is in this mode when it detects movement between the times you have it set to capture video?

I bought four of them and so far I like them. They take nice pictures and are super bright at night which is why I went with them. I havent tried any of the video or plot watcher modes, to me neither of these are really worth having but you might like them. They have fairly sensitive triggers so be sure to clear any grass out in front of them that could blow around. Here are a couple picture samples. I really like the extra wide field of view. If the deer is moving alot at night they will blur some. I put all of mine on 3 picture burst to make sure I get a decent pic. For the money they seem like a good one.
PICT0147.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

Last edited:
One of these just might be my next cam. The above review mentioned aiming affecting the night flash, what was it referring to? Aiming the camera, or aiming the flash? It said aiming too high can result in "burning" the image. I've had this happen before and did not know it could be corrected by aim. What am I missing?

I think the issue might be the wide view that I mentioned before. I have noticed the vertical field of view is narrower on these cams. You have to set them up a little lower than what you might set one of your other cams to make sure you get the whole deer in the picture. I think if you set it to high there is so much light on the actual deer that it is more likely to blur the deer. I think you want the ground to "absorb" some of the light. I think these things are going to be great on fields, you should really be able to reach out and see something at night. My Bushnell doesnt even compare with night pictures, if its not 10 feet from the camera you cant see anything.

The only other bad review they mention is the delay between sensed pictures. Its suppose to be 15 seconds, mine were about 25 to 30 seconds. This really isnt an issue if you set the picture on multi burst, the delay between these pictures is about 3 seconds.

Pretty tough to beat this little camera for the money. Been selling quite a few of them.

How much do you sell them for? Do you carry the M-80X also? Anybody find any great deals on the M-80 or M-80X online anywhere?

Anybody have any more experiences or pics to post? These look like a pretty nice little camera. Thinking about getting one.

We just added one to our aresenal and had it set on video mode. Kind of cool it takes a pic and a video everytime it is triggered so you get a still and a video of every situation.

I've had mine setting for a week now and checked pic's on Saturday. Got a trigger on a deer walking just inside the timber at night. Once I get a chance I'll post the pic, but I never would have expected it to pick up movement from inside the timber, but nice to know they are walking in there though.. Great cam.. Excellent pictures

How bout those pics scoffin...I'd like to hear your comments on the camera so far.

Just bought one last night and going to put out tonight. One question i had is... It says it comes with the Plotwatcher Software, on the package and again in the papers in the package, but i didnt get a disc or anything with mine. Did u guys get the software as well when u bought? I dont forsee using that feature, but was curious..

The disc was hidden in the cardboard backing. It's folded in half and the CD is in-between. I threw my package away and went dumpster diving when I read there was a disc included..

I totally forgot I said I'd post a pic. I'll do that tonight when I get home. So far, Picture quality and trigger speed are impressing me. Great Cam so far. Battery's still reading at 100%.

FYI guys I ordered one of the M-80X (camo version) cameras from www.rogerssportinggoods.com today for $114.99 with free shipping. Far and away the best deal I have found if anybody was thinking about getting one, that is a tough deal to beat. Good luck.

I got my M80 out in the field as of last weekend. Haven't checked it yet. So far it seems like a great cam playing with it in the yard. Love the day and night pictures. On a set of Rayovacs I expect to get about 3000 pictures but time will tell. The battery indicator says 250 days but that calculator is basing that number off of 5 day time pics and 5 night time pics per day. So that would be 2500 pics total but I have heard of guys getting much more than that.

I will post pictures if I get any.

Samples from my first card pu..

How's that for motion sensing during the day..
picture.php

Daytime picture quality.... Nice
picture.php

Another low light motion sensing example
picture.php

Night time motion sensing and pic quality example..
picture.php

You will get way more pics than that.

I got my M80 out in the field as of last weekend. Haven't checked it yet. So far it seems like a great cam playing with it in the yard. Love the day and night pictures. On a set of Rayovacs I expect to get about 3000 pictures but time will tell. The battery indicator says 250 days but that calculator is basing that number off of 5 day time pics and 5 night time pics per day. So that would be 2500 pics total but I have heard of guys getting much more than that.

I will post pictures if I get any.

I just bought one of these too last weekend. Its been up since the 4th and I'll check it this weekend, I'm liking the comments about it so far.

Top Bottom