Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mountain lion soot on tje east side of desmoines

How sweet would that be for one of those to walk by the tree stand? It would make for a pretty good mount.

mplane72 said:
Make sure you read some of the comments. Good Grief some people have no clue.

I was just going to say that too! Some of these people are so clueless...they don't even know what they are talking about.

I can't believe how clueless ppl are! I especially like the one that said why is there a need to kill it when there's other ways of getting meat. she obviously meant grocery store. cause of course that meat just magically shows up on the shelves in the middle of the night when jack and his bean stock are bringing in the fresh produce.

I was just going to say that too! Some of these people are so clueless...they don't even know what they are talking about.

My thoughts too, but...it does help me understand some of the national level polling results that we routinely hear about. ;)

I wish a poor kitty that was minding his own business would come walking by me. ;) just like the deer I plan on shooting. One of my customers claims one was killed around wapello a couple weeks ago. Said he knows the guy who shot it. I havent heard anything about it though.

If you think some of those comments are dumb go to the Des Moines Register's site. I think thats awesome there was a cat in there. I guarentee he followed the DSM River down. Pretty sweet to think I've shed that area along the river and to think that cat probably walked through the same area. I bet he followed the river down and was out wondering last night in the residential area and couldn't figure how the heck to get out of there come day light. Check it out on Google maps where it was shot.
I really think there are beginning to become more cats in the state, not a lot at all by any means but definitly some more. Last year there was the one shot in Blencoe, IA and one just a couple miles north of the IA border in MN. There was also that confirmed trail cam pic out by Clinton. Couple years ago was the one shot out by Iowa City during shotgun season. Several pictures have been posted on here and Iowasportsman that no one can really tell for sure what it is but look like they could be legit. I think its pretty neat.

I can't believe how clueless ppl are! I especially like the one that said why is there a need to kill it when there's other ways of getting meat. she obviously meant grocery store. cause of course that meat just magically shows up on the shelves in the middle of the night when jack and his bean stock are bringing in the fresh produce.

Thats damn funny!!

had a kid tell me it was cruel and unethical to shoot it since it was running away and they shoulda tranked it....so i proceeded to tell him they did trank it..with a bullet they way it should be...that dang thing doesnt need to run through town..i wonder what people think it eats when its hungry.... Acorns? get a clue

No, the BEST comment was this moron arguing with me on KCRG webite that this cat is endangered. I made a comment on the news site and next thing you know, i have 30 some replies which include people asking why it wasnt just caught and released back into the mountains to the guy who posted that this cat is endangered and the cop should get in trouble for killing the endangered species haha. I hate morons

http://www.facebook.com/cody.heathman
  • Cody Toad Heathman commented on a link.

22 hours ago

Before the tree huggers all bash the police, learn some facts about wildlife and stop the cry for help comments. This animal was a threat to society. shooting it with a tranqy would solve the problem for the day but not for the future. He's been roaming around in city limits for a few months and was now in a backyard a couple of blocks away from a school with 30 lbs kids. Now you have a animal who kills to eat and kills animals the size of a full grown human which means payday for him if he sees a kid walking down the street to school. Use common sense and learn about nature before you post your tree hugging comments. If he's not afraid of society then he's not afraid to kill in society. The person called the police about a lion in the back yard and funny how the lion was still in the backyard which makes me believe he was looking for something not just wandering. The police did the right decision by taking down the cougar. Yes, mountain lions do exist in the west but people out west have grown with this species. Iowans are unaware of these species and there powers. We do not need mountain lions in the state of Iowa.
  • Robert Overturf ...and over those few months how many people were hurt? or pets? or anything? They are coming for the rabbits, that is all. These beautiful cats were everywhere in Iowa only one generation ago.
    21 hours ago · Like · 5

• Cody Toad Heathman really bro, they lived in Iowa a generation ago, learn the facts first. On December 14, 2009, while hunting deer, Raymond Goebels Jr., from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, came across and killed the first verified mountain lion to be found in Iowa since the species was extirpated in 1867. Declaring "It was going to die anyway," Mr. Goebels' was unapologetic for his actions. Since lions are not officially recognized as even existing in Iowa there was no law at the time preventing the killing.
    21 hours ago · Like · 3

• Megan Anne Seelman You honestly believe they were here for only a rabbit? You are a very naive person lol they hunt what's easiest and what will feed them. That can include wildlife, pets, and yes people. They are predators. They are hunters. They kill. It's what they are designed for. Mountain lions are rare in Iowa. Bob cats are more in this area.
    21 hours ago via text message · Unlike · 4

• Cody Toad Heathman the whole moral of the story is where this cougar was located. It was 2 blocks away from a school and 4 blocks away from another school. yes there is an argument for you if this cat was killed in the country behind some guys 100 acres of timber but really, open your eyes. Since 1990, 88 humans have been attacked by a cougar, 64% of those victoms have been children. Is that a risk you want to take? Think of the children not just your own beliefs
    21 hours ago · Like · 1

• Robert Overturf The easiest prey for them is rabbits, I have studies these animals my whole life. They are not opportunists. They have specific tastes and patterns and people and pets are very far from their natural prey.
    21 hours ago · Like · 4

• Cody Toad Heathman You are correct, humans usually arent on there food chain. Majority of lions are out west and people raised out west are taught not to run from cougars Cougars are predater hunters who intense by the motion of running. What do kids do at school while on recess? maybe run? an 8 year old is not trained to look down and stay still when approached by a cougar in iowa.
    21 hours ago · Like

• Robert Overturf Teach the kids, you can't just wipe out the dangers that you don't like. The kids should know. I knew growing up how to act around lions because we spotted them often running in the fields southeast Iowa. We could also hear them scream at night. In addition to that I have also seen a wolf and a moose in Iowa, in the wild.
    21 hours ago · Like · 2

• Brenda Bushong Moore How do you think the 88 humans who have been attacked them feel about the fact that you have studied them your whole life?
    21 hours ago · Like · 1

• Lindsey Hudson nicely said Robert Overturf. CODY if this dang thing was out for human dont you think that it would have satisfied its desire 3 to 4 months ago when first spotted NEAR A SCHOOL in July? Yea i think so. Tranqing it would have solved the problem because once back in their natural habitat they are less likely to wonder into the city limits again. Megan what part of 3 months roaming in CITY LIMITs do you not get!? If it really wanted to KILL AND HUNT HUMAN it would have done so when it was near a school in JULY. They dont wait 3 MONTHS to kill what they want. They arent premeditated hunters they see what they want and they go for it. Just because it was near a school doesnt mean kill it. DNR SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED OUT TO THE AREA NOT THE FRICKIN POLICE THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT. THE POLICE WERE WAY OUT OF LINE TO TAKE ON THIS ANIMAL THEMSELVES.
    21 hours ago · Like · 4

• Sarah Westendorf Agreed!
    21 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman And again, another comment made without thinking. How many schools are open in July? Do you actually believe an 80lb cat is living in someones back yard in the city? No, it does not live in town. Which means he is a risk as he came back into town once he already left. A mountain lion can reach 200 lbs looking at the size of this cat i'll prolly guess it around 70 lbs. Now if you see a 70 pound cat walking around in town you'll call it in obviously. Now it hasnt been seen since July which makes it kind of obvious he dont LIVE in town.
    20 hours ago · Like · 1

• Lindsey Hudson Well no crap he doesnt live in town. Read the article it says july near a SCHOOL hence the reason the teacher took kids inside. If it was there to kill it would have he tried to flee wen cops showed up and if there was a wild cat in my backyard i wouldnt be an idiot and call the POLICE id call the DNR the animal people duh
    20 hours ago · Like

• Andrew Usher I grew up in Iowa. I live in Wisconsin now where there are three major mammals of prey (Wildcats,Bears,and Wolves). I am also a junior studying natural resources with NRA and Ducks Unilimited accredidations. It is unfair to assume that an animal moving across a larger home range or relocating because of development induced circumstances is grounds to kill the cougar. No it is not typical in Central Iowa, but it is not uncommon elsewhere and people have learned to make due and co-exsist with mothernature. Cougars have been know no travel through rural and urban settings from Idaho to Maine (case study by DNR in WI). Predation rates are near zero and human attacks when not provoked are near zero as well. This animal was not looking for someone to kill. Bears are designed to kill but you often see them in the backyard up here just mozing around. They run from a broom like most predators do when confronted by humans with means to escape. Corner them, different story. We too are designed to kill. We can out think and kill anything on earth but it doesnt mean that we do or that thats what we are meant for and the same goes for all living things on this planet. I support alotta things outside the left and right but I know what I know about these subjects.
    20 hours ago · Like

• Andrew Usher to travel*

20 hours ago · Like

• Scott Steele You cant talk to people who know nothing about these animals, or the first thing about predators, they are blind to any reason.
    17 hours ago · Like

• Megan Anne Seelman When food sources run low, they will find the next thing. It might be rabbits now, but could be something else next. Why risk it. It's like crocodiles, they relocate them up until they get to 7 ft long or something like that and then they kill them. If something is going to continue to come into a residential area, why risk someone's life? Sounds just stupid to me! I have a hard time believing that a 5 year old standing in front of a mountain lion wont run away. Cody, my uncle got to mount that mountain lion. It was a pretty awesome thing to watch get done!
    16 hours ago · Like

• Robert Overturf The world carries inherent risk, the key is to understanding the risk and mitigating it through your own behavior. To be completely fair, after watching the news report , they were actually waiting on a tranquilizer gun to arrive when the kitty tried to make a break for it. Though I'm pretty sure I would rather have a mountain lion near a school than flying bullets, it does sound like everyone involved was very regretful that such a beautiful animal was killed and their intention was to release it in the woods.
    16 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman I'm sorry Robert for you lack of knowledge of how nature calls, but its over with and the cat is dead, thank god your not a police officer. "Today KCRG reports, Police Officer thought Mountain Lion was to pretty to shoot so he yelled at to leave a back yard as it runs through the fields behind a Elementry. As the cat got spooked he felt threatened and attacked as he felt cornered with no place to run, but its ok because the cat is still alive and at large"
    15 hours ago · Like · 1

• Robert Overturf More like, animal runs away frightened by it's encounter with the truly dangerous creature known as human beings never to return to the city for tasty well fed rabbits. It is not I who has a lack of knowledge of nature, but this isn't really about the nature of the beast, it's about human nature to destroy what they fear and don't understand. It has been here for months and hasn't harmed anyone. The man who spotted it even said, "Where it was, I would had to have walked right by it." It's been hanging out watching and avoiding people for a while now, unfortunately for the cat we're pretty hard to avoid. He didn't look emaciated in any way so has been feeding well. Looked very healthy in fact. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more near by.
    15 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman Here's a news article from a mountain lion in Montana last month. It was corned in town shot with a tranqy gun and bolted as it ran for several blocks aka the same distance to the schools in DSM and did not slow down and was then shot.
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman A mountain lion that crashed through the glass door of a Baker home was killed Sunday after a chase and standoff.

The lion, a young male the size of a large dog, was shot underneath a porch after leading police and game officials on a two-block chase. Although there are mountain lions in the area, they don’t come into town often.

“It was a young cat, a year and a half old, maybe looking for a territory of its own,” said Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden Todd Enders.

Enders has worked in the Baker area for five years. This was his first in-town mountain lion. The lion was also a first for Isabelle Jacobsen, who was still in her nightgown at 8:50 a.m. when a police dispatcher called to warn that a mountain lion was spotted in her yard.

The dispatcher cautioned Jacobsen not to go outside, but all the mother could think of was her daughter, who had walked to church that morning and would soon be coming home.

“Of course I tried to look out the window. I couldn’t see anything,” Jacobsen said. “But then I see the game warden and the police department. I opened to door to tell them my daughter would be coming home from church. The lion was crouched by the lilac bush by the door.”

But Jacobsen didn’t see the lion. She stepped back inside to speak with her husband, Mark, who decided he would slip outside to their pickup and go intercept their daughter on her way home. Just after Mark Jacobsen reached the truck, the mountain lion ran toward the Jacobsens' glass storm door.

“It ran all the way around the house, all the way to that door. I don’t know if he saw his reflection in the door. I don’t know if he felt cornered, but he ran right through the door,” Isabelle Jacobsen said.

There was a spray of glass and suddenly Jacobsen and the mountain lion were a couple of feet from each other in the entryway of her house. The mountain lion was crouched. Jacobsen’s dog, a handbag-sized bichon frise named Queen, was in full bark just two feet from the big cat.

Jacobsen, whose bare feet were bleeding from the broken glass, looked over the mountain lion and concluded that it was more bewildered than aggressive. The woman stepped in and retrieved her dog. The mountain lion bolted for the basement.

Downstairs, the Jacobsens had a houseguest, 16-year-old Kendra Swanson, who was visiting from Bowman, N.D. Jacobsen asked her son, Alain, who was sleeping upstairs, to phone the Swanson and tell her to stay in her room.

The cat retreated to a downstairs recreation room and hid behind a recliner.

The authorities wanted to put the cat to sleep with a tranquilizer dart and then haul it upstairs, but the game warden didn’t have a dart gun, Jacobsen said. So a standoff ensued for more than an hour before a dart gun was located.

The animal was darted, but the dart hit bone, where it couldn’t deliver the dose to the cat. The Jacobsens opened all their doors and everyone backed off so the mountain lion could leave, which it did.

The mountain lion ran a couple blocks, into another yard where a gunshot to the rib cage killed it, three and a half hours after it was first spotted in town.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...111-5129-955e-412854ae909a.html#ixzz28O6B43nQMountain lion crashes through Baker home's glass door, is killed
    billingsgazette.comA mountain lion that crashed through the glass door of a Baker home was killed Sunday after a chase and standoff.

14 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview

• Robert Overturf It does take a while for the tranquilizer to take effect, but what does that prove? They shouldn't have shot that one either. These are an endangered species with a little over 300 world wide and only a little over a hundred in the United States. Law enforcement should at least try to respect that. It's just following it's food source toward watered gardens and irrigated lawns in the face of a drought.
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman hahahahahaha where are you getting these facts? first you say Iowa had tons of cats a generation ago, I proved you wrong now your say =ing they are endangered and only have 300 world wide. DUDE, you cant hunt endangered species, they have season for these cats because they arent endangered. your making a fool of your self right now
    14 hours ago · Like

• Robert Overturf You didn't prove me wrong, I just didn't feel like arguing with you.

http://facstaff.bloomu.edu/ccorbin/Biodiversity/cougar_Stempien.htm
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman The cougar's total breeding population is estimated at less than 50,000 by the IUCN, with a declining trend.[2] U.S. state-level statistics are often more optimistic, suggesting cougar populations have rebounded. In Oregon, a healthy population of 5,000 was reported in 2006, exceeding a target of 3,000.[75] California has actively sought to protect the cat and a similar number of cougars has been suggested, between 4,000 and 6,000
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/cougars.htmlCougars (Mountain Lions) - Living with Wildlife | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
    wdfw.wa.govSleek and graceful, cougars (Puma concolor, Fig. 1) are solitary and secretive ...See More

14 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview

• Cody Toad Heathman so heres 2 different sites, 1 including wiki. you have 2,500 cats in WA, 5000 in OR, and between 4000-6000 in CA those numbers ARE WAY HIGHER than your made up site from a tree hugger with just 100 cats lol
    14 hours ago · Like · 1

• Robert Overturf That is a pretty good source of information. That will help keep people safe. The numbers vary based on the source. The numbers I showed were from 2007 so I kinda doubt they declined that much in a year. The numbers are irrelevant to the argument I am trying to make for the animal's life and I give up on trying to convince a taxidermist about the value of an animals life so enjoy.
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman Not to mention, your site you posted state there is only 119 mountain lion IN BIG CAT RESCUES not in the wild
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman there, proved you wrong again, NEXT
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman read that 2nd page bud, its the state of Washingtons department of Natural Resource
    14 hours ago · Like

• Jeff Roeske Can't relocate them to the mountains or a suitable habitat?

14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman why cant we just send all the deer into the timbers when they come onto the roads? come on dude lol
    14 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman ask your self this, how far are the mountains from Iowa? is it worth the gas to send an animal to the mountains when its only $150 to buy a hunting tag for a mountain lion in Wyoming?
    14 hours ago · Like

• Jacob Heumphreus cody...your not gonna be able to fix how stupid/ close minded this robert clown is.. he knows very little and wants to act like he studys animal...im guessing his class time is watching animal planet
    14 hours ago via text message · Like

• Jacob Heumphreus its amazing how stupid. you are if u think there are more near by....do u think they are a pack animal with all the studying you do of them??
    13 hours ago via text message · Unlike · 1

• Cody Toad Heathman LMFAO
    13 hours ago · Like

• Brice Journot I don't see why this is even an issue. If a mountain lion was on my property I wouldn't even call the cops, I'd just shoot it. Case closed and home in time for dinner. It's a cat...and any of you people defending it wouldn't be doing so if your loved one was in close proximity to it.
    13 hours ago · Unlike · 2

• Vanessa Hitchcock We used to have all kinds of "wildlife" as you call it. It's a damn shame that it was killed. That is problem with people who think like you do. Why is it that animals of this nature are coming around? Maybe because we as humans are so selfish, and have taken what was once theirs and have continued to cut everything down to build more and more glamorous things we really don't need as a society. We keep building and building, and wonder why these animals are being pushed out of their natural realms and coming into cities. ... Think about it!
    8 hours ago · Like

• Cody Toad Heathman oh come on vanessa your the reason this argument is gettin dragged bc of your stupidity. cougars arent native to iowa and never were and i guarantee they arent gettin pushed off there ground from building in wyoming montana idaho ect so stop crying and go hug a tree
    about an hour ago via text message ·

Top Bottom