Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mouth call fitting

Fishbonker

Life Member
I just tried a mouth call for the first time. I actually got it to make noise, but I was spewing more spit than I was sound and I wouldn’t say the sounds I made were anything close to a turkey or any other creature, real or imagined, on this planet.

How close to the roof of your mouth should the call be? The frame(?) was actually on my teeth so there was a gap of about, well, I don’t know, how long are my teeth, between the call and my hard palate. Should the call be snug against the roof of my mouth? Do I need to trim the plastic so the call fits inside my teeth?

If it is supposed to be tight to my palate, should the diaphragm be against my front teeth? A little confession, I thought the round part went in front because my teeth/bite are curved, I couldn’t get it to make a sound. Then I turned it around so the curved part was to the back and the reeds were to the front. Let’s just say the cat ran to hide under the bed.

Also, how do you clean and store them?

Another confession, now I know what a condom must taste like because it was made out of prophylactic grade material. Nuthin a sip of good bourbon won’t cure. I could also make a joke about having a prophylactic and a diaphragm in my mouth at the same time, but I won’t.

Thanks.

The ‘Bonker

Bonker,

Yes, the call should fit tight to the roof of your mouth. No air should pass over the top of the call. I will be practically impossible to make any good sounds unless you have it sealed off. You can trim your call with scissors to make them fit better. Put it on your tongue like a piece of candy and then put it up to the roof of your mouth. The reeds should not be against your teeth, again the call should be in the roof of your mouth.

I know what you mean about some calls tasting like latex. I like the calls that seem to be made out of a fabric material, Woodhaven and some Primos. Just seem to fit better in my mouth and don't have that terrible taste.

I just keep mine in the little cases they come in. Also, will rinse them off with hydrogen peroxide from time to time. Then I store in them in a small container in the basement with some other turkey gear. Some people will put them in the fridge.

Another thing you should look at on the call is which side is up and which side is down. If it has multiple reeds, the shortest reed should go on the bottom.

I got a lot of good chuckles from reading that post! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

What Matt said....

i have a few things to add,
the call should be as far back in your mouth as you can handle. tongue pressure is a common issue with guys learning to call. you really dont need much pressure at all, in fact, just barely touching the latex with your tongue should be enough. also practice blowing, and saying words, i.e. dropping your jaw to roll the call over for a "yelp" is key. "key-yuk"

"Pock" for cuts,
flutter your tongue lightly for purring....

but i suggest keeping calls in your car and practice when no one is around, especially the wife.... they dont tend to enjoy turkey calls as much /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

keeping calls clean is imperative to their life, occasionally ill drop a few calls in a paper bathroom cup drop some mouth wash on them, shake it up for a minute, and THOUROUGHLY rinse them off with water, as the prolonged exposre to mouthwash actually deteriates calls......

but in all honesty, if you use your calls alot, it hard to make them last more than a year or two.

hope that helps Tommy.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks guys. I'll trim them up to fit better and see what kinda sounds I can produce.

The cat still hasn't come out of hiding yet. With any luck I won't see her all day.

The 'Bonker

Oh yeah Tommy IV, I don't even let my mom call me Tommy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah Tommy IV, I don't even let my mom call me Tommy. </div></div>

Whatever you say Tommy.....

Bonks, be careful trimming the calls. You can actually cut too much off and ruin the seal against the roof of your mouth.

I never trim a call. They do take a bit to get broke in.

I slightly bend the metal "horseshoe" to better fit the roof of my mouth. Once again, you don't want to distort the latex or it will ruin the call.

I used to get in trouble in high school for calling in the school hallways between classes. That was in the early 80's. Used to be late for homeroom alot in the Spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah Tommy IV, I don't even let my mom call me Tommy. </div></div>

Whatever you say Tommy..... </div></div>

fing07.gif

fing23.gif

sterb016.gif

sterb154.gif

sterb201.gif

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to get in trouble in high school.......That was in the early 80's...... </div></div>

ahhhh
ummmmmmm

Old??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to get in trouble in high school.......That was in the early 80's...... </div></div>

ahhhh
ummmmmmm

Old??

</div></div>

Don't think old Thomas...think "Experienced"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Let me guess, I had a mouth call in my mouth, and you had your thumb in your mouth. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You look like you were a thumb sucker. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I won't bring up that one picture... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I used to get in trouble in high school for calling in the school hallways between classes. That was in the early 80's. Used to be late for homeroom alot in the Spring.

</div></div>

Haha, we used to call down the hallways and study hall. I'd hear my buddies gobbling from all around the building. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You look like you were a thumb sucker. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I won't bring up that one picture... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

ummm

thanks.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonks, be careful trimming the calls. You can actually cut too much off and ruin the seal against the roof of your mouth.</div></div>

I'm gonna try and put bite marks in it and trim to the bite marks.

High school in the early 80's? You are indeed a youngster.

The 'Bonker

call should fit quite aways back in the mouth. leading edge of the call about even with the front of your rear molars. basically about as far back as you can get without eating it.

another tip, in tommy 4's exapmle, saying "key-yuk" to make the yelp, place your finger tips along the bottom edge of your jawbone. as you go from "key" to "yuk" you should feel your jaw drop.

Just swallow the mouth call and then eat some of that cabage chili you love so much, you'll be chirpin like a pro by tomorrow! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just swallow the mouth call and then eat some of that cabage chili you love so much, you'll be chirpin like a pro by tomorrow! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Great idea!!! I assume, of course, that you'll be in the blind with me?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just swallow the mouth call and then eat some of that cabage chili you love so much, you'll be chirpin like a pro by tomorrow! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Great idea!!! I assume, of course, that you'll be in the blind with me?

The 'Bonker </div></div>

Insert "Gas-mask" gremlin here! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom