Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moving trail markers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorpotluck

This is my rant. I set up trail markers on public land. The primary reason is so that I can get to and from my areas in the dark. I get way off the beaten path. So someone removed them!:mad: They were the clip on type. Now I don't mind someone hunting an area I've scouted because it's public land. First come first serve. But I think removing trail markers is going too far. I've hunted this particular area for 2 years. Most of the hunters know that I hunt there and we discuss where we're all going to be so we don't mess each other up. This guy was scouting not hunting since he did it at midday. He's done it twice now! Why someone wants to mess up someone's hunt or steal something as cheap as trail markers is beyond me. Whoever you are enjoy the area. The buck you're after is on the harvest page. I harvested him two days before you stole the markers.:thrwrck:
3831-dad_011.jpg

Man, that sucks. You just can't trust anyone. Congrats on your buck. I used the map app on my phone to find my way to my hunting spot in the dark.

I remove peoples flags all the time.....AFTER SEASON. I consider it like leaving trash in the woods. You wanna leave your stand thats one thing, but little pieces of ribbon all over the woods is trash,

Nice buck btw.

bowhuntr311 said:
I remove peoples flags all the time.....AFTER SEASON. I consider it like leaving trash in the woods. You wanna leave your stand thats one thing, but little pieces of ribbon all over the woods is trash,

Nice buck btw.

If these are on public land they could very well be marking boundaries for a project, such as TSI, timber sale, tree planting etc....... if they don't obviously lead to a stand, please leave them.

It drives me crazy seeing the trail markers on the public lands as well. It might not be soo bad if people actually took them down when they were done with them.

Same here. Mine are clip on. I take em out before shotgun season. I have no problem with cleaning up the timber when the season is over. However mine were put up this season and stolen this season as well.

Ive always enjoyed moving peoples markers. Oldest trick in the book. I dont need to steal them as I have plenty of my own. But to move a few markers around so as to get a person walking in a circle is rather funny in my book. Ive never hunted Iowa so it wasnt me that played with your markers.

Those who move markers for fun

Yeah I've met folks like you before. By the way if you get caught in Iowa you're harassing and impeding a hunter and you can go to jail as well as have your hunting privileges suspended. It's so easy to write down a tag number (vehicle) and trail cams up high are wonderful tools. It's okay to play as long as you are willing to pay the price. Are you willing to lose your hunting privileges because you want to fool with a marker? By the way I carry a compass and getting lost isn't an issue. I also know the timber well enough to get in and out. However my wife doesn't. So let's mess with a new hunter and get them to quit out of frustration. Let's make them angry with their fellow hunters. Then we can be surprised when they no longer support hunting. Why in the world would a hunter mess with another hunter unless he wants to help PETA? :thrwrck:

Last edited:
dc240nt said:
Ive always enjoyed moving peoples markers. Oldest trick in the book. I dont need to steal them as I have plenty of my own. But to move a few markers around so as to get a person walking in a circle is rather funny in my book. Ive never hunted Iowa so it wasnt me that played with your markers.

Ya funny but stupid! There just trying to hunt. Just like you ill move your markers and let you walk un circles

This is just immature and dangerous. You need to reconsider what you call fun and grow up.

Give it a break, you shot your buck who cares if someone pulled down trail markers on public. Public is exactly what you get when you hunt on it, if a bunch of guys m are dumb enough to need trail markers to get into a stand. Might as well draw joe a map on how to steal your stand too.

Last edited:
Booner

So let me get this straight. If you use trail markers you're dumb? So how do you get to and from your stand when it's dark? Just curious.

No that is not what was stated so quiet trying to twist this to make yourself look like the victim of a roothless act. You stated you put trail markers on public, I then stated people who use them on public aren't too bright. I don't use them because I hunt private, I've done my homework and figured ways in and out of my stands because an educated hunter may take different routes to and from his stand based on wind. Take that comment as you may, you obviously killed a decent buck on public but don't act like because you did this other guys who also hunt the public should bow down to you the almighty public hunter. Get off your high horse read what i wrote and then think again the next time you do something on public thus having a negative outcome such as puting up trail markers. Sorry for such harsh comments but there is a time and place to B**tch and IMO its not over internet forums, especailly when your complaning about public timber. If thats the case go back to Iowa Sportmans, seems to be a widely discussed/argued topic over there.

Its public ground...am I missing the point? Maybe someone else is using them to mark there stand out... I mean, heck, its public, and they can use YOUR stand if they get there before you do.. so again, I guess I am missing the point?? Is the it the cost of them? I never bought any, as oddly, I have good enough directions that I can get in without them...I am not bragging by any means.. but again, as stated, its public ground boys.. whatever happens, happens IMO

I think what he means is that people have no respect for other people's stuff. Is that right? Well, I guess I would kind of agree with flugge and booner, you should kind of expect that to happen. Sad enough as it is to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom