Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mulberry Trees

2.5YR8

Anyone have thoughts on mulberry trees?

I was always under the impression that people considered these undesirable, and made it a point to remove them. They are growing on me, and I've been leaving them on my place if they aren't bothering anything. They put out a ton of fruit that the deer seem to like. The deer strip every branch of leaves/fruit off every branch they can reach around here.

I was also surprised how large they can get, I figured they were an understory tree. I have a couple that previous owners left alone that I can't get my arms around. I did cut 1 of these down since it was 1/2 dead and sandwiched between 2 really nice walnuts that I wanted to give some more space. The wood was harder than I was expecting, split nice, and burned pretty well in the wood stove.

I know the deer will seek the ripe berries, I have a couple of them on my industrial property in town and I often see deer around them getting that ripe fruit right in town. I have thought about planting a couple/few of them around my pond...as I know the catfish will gorge on the berries too that drop into the water. But I don't like them near where I park my truck, if you know what I mean. :)

I like em. And people will likly find this strange, but I like em as treestand trees too. They have an insane amount of cover.

They spread like fire is my biggest problem with them.
Yes they do, they grow like crazy too! I have a few at the edge of my yard and trim a couple of them 3 times a year they grow so fast. Deer and birds of all sorts love them, especially my chickens...

They have their place. All advantageous other than like above mentions…. Spreading. But- they don’t spread in forested areas choking out trees like oaks, etc. which is great. They are also incredibly easy to kill & manage.
One place for them…. If a person wanted to reforest…. They are a great component as they grow fast & tolerate a host of conditions. Overall I like having some for sure.

Underrated tree IMO when you factor in browse preference, growth rate, and the fact that they also produce fruit. I dislike that most of what we typically get is the non-native version, but on my farm they are heavily browsed. Their fruit is incredibly attractive to turkey and other species as well. Moving forward I will probably hinge the male trees so that most of it is within reach of deer and the females will be allowed to produce fruit.

They seem to get a bad rap, for whatever reason. They grow super fast and seem to be pretty tough.

Good firewood. Raccoon magnets though when the fruit is ripe.
VAhM7BEh.jpg

They seem to get a bad rap, for whatever reason. They grow super fast and seem to be pretty tough.
They get a bad rap here because they grow everywhere. It is a constant battle to keep them out of fencerows and from under powerlines and keep them from creeping into ag fields. We bought a tree puller for our skidloader just for those instances. The grow anywhere a bird or coon poops.

They get a bad rap here because they grow everywhere. It is a constant battle to keep them out of fencerows and from under powerlines and keep them from creeping into ag fields. We bought a tree puller for our skidloader just for those instances. The grow anywhere a bird or coon poops.
makes sense from an ag perspective. But for a hunting property, seem like something someone would want.

The only reason they spread like wildfire is how attractive they are to wildlife. The birds spread them all over at my house from trees I don't even know where they're coming from, since there aren't any mulberries in my neighborhood....obviously somewhere close tho.

Great browse for deer and also fruit. The only thing worse than a female mulberry tree is a male....

I like em. And people will likly find this strange, but I like em as treestand trees too. They have an insane amount of cover.
I have thought about throwing a stand in this 1. All the lower branches look like this from being browsed on, and there are usually 2-3 scrapes under it every year.
20220909_153402.jpg
20220909_153310.jpg

Top Bottom