Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Must read "iwill"

After going to the site, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to-
What does this need to pass? What I mean by that is, does there have to be more "yes" votes than "no" votes, or how does it work? The reason I ask is that I'm sure a lot of people who vote don't turn the ballot over & vote yes OR no for many of the things on the back of the ballot, so I didn't know how that would shake out.

Anyone....anyone?

This what I found with Google:

Once an amendment is on the ballot, in order to become part of the constitution, it must be approved by "a majority of the electors qualified to vote for members of the general assembly, voting thereon."

Which I believe is legal speak for simple majority.

At the risk of taking this thread down a path not intended, I have to ask 2 questions.

#1: Whatever happened to Compassionate Conservatism?

#2: If there was an excise tax on bicycles, bicycle parts including helmets and perhaps a license system for bicycles to use the trails would that be
OK? Or is any tax too much of a tax to ask for?

The 'Bonker

True Conservatism is compassionate and a simple yearly fee would work just fine...no need to tax someone who is not going to ride their bike on the trail.

I view the vote as the majority of taxpaying Iowans forcing the hacks that are in office to apply our money in a way that we see fit. An eventual tax increase is inevitable so rather than spending it all on a bunch of worthless entitlement programs that are counterproductive, they'll be forced to spend it on management of the state's resources...something that is productive to all Iowans. I fail to see the downside in this. I'd rather see no tax increase whatsoever for the rest of my days on this earth but I also try to avoid burying my head in the sand when at all possible.

I view the vote as the majority of taxpaying Iowans forcing the hacks that are in office to apply our money in a way that we see fit. An eventual tax increase is inevitable so rather than spending it all on a bunch of worthless entitlement programs that are counterproductive, they'll be forced to spend it on management of the state's resources...something that is productive to all Iowans. I fail to see the downside in this. I'd rather see no tax increase whatsoever for the rest of my days on this earth but I also try to avoid burying my head in the sand when at all possible.

Yep!:drink2:

I guess the feds could apply an excise tax to bikes and biking equip, much like the Pittman Robertson tax we pay each time we buy guns and ammo that goes to the wildlife, to pay for bike trails. What do you think the chances are that it would pass in an election year?

much like the Pittman Robertson tax we pay each time we buy guns and ammo that goes to the wildlife
Oh yes, The Pittman Robertson act, very pertinent to this thread. ELEVEN PERCENT of every gun, bow, ammo and everything in between. TEN PERCENT of every handgun, whether or not used for hunting. A large percentage of a hunting and fishing license. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR in 2001 money. And they need more...or want more. A quote from the NRA website..."However, in recent years, notably during the Clinton Administration, evidence surfaced that the sportsman`s conservation trust funds were being mismanaged". Hmm...surely this couldn't happen with the good ole boys that we have elected here in Iowa could it?

Another interesting quote from the NRA website..."The tens of millions of dollars generated by Pittman-Robertson each year were mandated to go back into state and local organizations to increase game populations, expand habitat and train hunters. As the money kept piling up, a repeal bill was drawn to relieve sportsmen from the financial burden of the excise tax. However, because dramatic results could be seen nationwide, sportsmen insisted on keeping the tax in place". You could go on and on about that statement...I will keep it to one question-WHERE IS THE PILED UP MONEY NOW??

Thinkin Rut, I think you need to write your state represntative of how you feel instead of ranting on this post. Just my thoughts?

I will keep it to one question-WHERE IS THE PILED UP MONEY NOW??

The P-R funds make up nearly half of the Wildlife Bureau budget.

They are alotted to the states in 2 ways, first we get an alotment based on the physical size of the state, and a second alotment based on the number of hunters in the state.

Also, it's paid "in the rears" it is a reimbersement of money paid the previous year for qualifying activities.

The P-R funds make up nearly half of the Wildlife Bureau budget.

They are alotted to the states in 2 ways, first we get an alotment based on the physical size of the state, and a second alotment based on the number of hunters in the state.

Also, it's paid "in the rears" it is a reimbersement of money paid the previous year for qualifying activities.

On a side note these funds only get used for wildlife, fisheries and enforment bureaus, not parks, trails or water quality.

Thinkin Rut, I think you need to write your state represntative of how you feel instead of ranting on this post. Just my thoughts?
The ballot will read yes or no...the post said, must read, not must agree. If I would have started the post, slanting against it, would everyone adding to the post then have to agree with me? Would they then need to write their state rep instead of disagreeing on the post? It's politics...don't take it too personal.

Top Bottom