Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzle loader in BAD shape

D

djhunter

I inherited a Thompson Center "New Englander" and would love to shoot with it this fall...but, it is in rough shape.
bawling.gif

The gun has some pretty extensive rust in the bore
cursing[1].gif
and some surface rust on the exterior
cursing[1].gif
cursing[1].gif
. I have brought back to life some pretty old relic rifles and classics picked up at garage sales, but this is my first muzzleloader
doah.gif
. Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
waytogo.gif

good luck!!! my first smoker was a new englander and that gun cost me several nice deer because of misfires. i bought a knight after it misfired for my oldest boy and cost him a 160 or 170 class 10 point. i havn't fired that gun since. no matter what i tried or did different with that gun it just wasn't trustworthy enough for me.

The first thing to do is make sure the gun is EMPTY! I've seen more than my share of muzzle loaders that were put away loaded. Next remove the breech. This could be very stubborn but it will come out. Soak the breech in brake cleaner. Use the same with the barrel and scrub it starting with steel wool. If the breech cleans up good and you keep it clean the gun will fire fairly reliable. When it comes to sidelocks that breech has to be spotless and use top quality caps. As for the bore, the heavy rust has probably pitted the rifling and will effect accuracy. If you can get it smooth it should still make a good 75 yd. gun. Good luck.

Clean the gun as best you can and send it back to Thompson Center. They are guaranteed for life and the company is real good about replacing their products. I sent back a Hawken that was in bad shape a few years ago. The only reason they didnt fix it was because I had tapped it for a scope and that voided the warranty

Thanks to all. The gun is brushed and is awaiting the soaking in brake cleaner...once I get the manual from TC. BTY, they said to send it in, if it is a fault with their bluing on the exterior, they would take care of it. Thanks for all the tips, will let you know how it comes out.
beerchug.gif

I got a muzzleloader free once same gun you are talking about...I think. I cleaned it like crazy, then that fall my brother and I shared it to hunt with. We killed some deer with it with round balls and 60 to 80 grains of powder, and it was about a 75 yard gun like shovelbuck said. It was cheap and alot of fun for a couple of teenagers, we had a blast with it!! good luck!

Top Bottom