Muzzleloader Accuracy Issues

I've been following this thread and, while I'm no ml expert, I have plenty of experience with scopes and mounts and it sounds like those two loose (not tight tight) are the issue. I've seen plenty of similar issues in rifles and it was almost always a loose screw in either the base or a ring. On occasion, its been a bad scope. I learned a long time ago to use the blue Loc-Tite on all screws.

A friend of mine took his 13-year old son on a youth deer hunt a few years ago and he missed something like 13 times and it ended up being the result of a loose base screw that managed to work loose during sighting in the rifle but, miraculously, didn't affect the sight in process.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Went out this afternoon to shoot it again. Shot 2 shots at 50 that were very close together, adjusted the scope and put the next one in the center. Moved back to 100 yards, and the next three shots were all touching the center 2" circle.

Much happier with the results today!

I'm not sure if the new bullets made a difference in the accuracy or not, but I will say that I am very impressed with how easily they push down the barrel.

Thanks again for the help guys.

This might be a bit late, but you don't mention what sabot you are using. I agree a likely place to look is the scope,how ever the wrong sabot will do the same thing. The best sabots I've used have been MMP and Harvester ribbed. I shoot a Sav. MLII and always got good accuracy with XTP's but stopped using them because they tended to blow up. Hornady sst comes with a mmp sabot, but better choice would be the T/C 250 grain bonded spire point. It is made by Hornady and stays together well. SST's tend to shuck their jackets on me. You need a good scope . ML's are hard on them. I like Leupold.
Mike

Back