Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MuzzleLoader delayed fire

F

fitzt

Need some HELP!!!! I have had this happen three times now.

Using (2) 50 grain Pyrodex pellets, TC Mag Express sabots 240 Gr. & Winchester W209 Primers IN a Knight Disc 50 cal. Muzzle loader
The primer is going off, then there is a delay before the Pellets go off. This happen with a fresh load installed that morning, then I took another shot and it fired fine.

The only facts that I have Are:
1)I bought the X-Fire Breech plug.
2)The barrel, and everything was cleaned.
3)I have been reusing the plastic discs.
4)I have been putting the pellets in with the bright spot to the breech plug.
5)I have noticed while using the speedloaders they can break the ends of the pellets a little.
6)Ramrod is marked to make sure everything is tight.

I may have an older box of pellets, but mine must have the dark side of the pellet to the primer. I have seen some hangfires caused by excessive oil in the barrel or condensation caused by taking the gun in and out of cold-warm areas.

Does this only happen after you clean your gun? Do you swab your barrell with oil after cleaning? My gun usually hangfires the first shot after cleaning but never again, I usually clean gun thourghly every 5 shots. After I clean I shoot just a powder load to dry everything and have no problem ever after doing that.

BB

I had this happen to me two seasons ago. I was advised by a friend and have bought a tc powder measure built for flintlocks that delivers 4 grains of ffff blackpowder before the pyrodex. It goes off instantly every time now.

Dry swab the barrel and try popping a couple of primers off prior to loading...if oil residue is the culprit this will take care of it.

This happened to me last year. Like everyone is saying, make sure you have the pyrodex pellats in correctly (black side toward primer), fire a couple primers through your gun before you load it, run a dry patch down before you do all of this. Do you leave your gun in your trunk or behind your seat at night? If you bring it in and out of the elements condensation will build up and cause misfires.

MW

I have a standard MK-85 that I shoot loose pyrodex in and #11 caps. Have never had a hangfire or misfire. Even leaving the gun loaded in and out of cold and damp weather for up to 2 weeks. I always put a dry patch over the nipple and let the bolt go home when uncapped.

I have a hunting partner that has left his Knight loaded as long as 3 months and it went off like it was just loaded. Not sure if that if that is the smartest trick, but I can't imagine having a hangfire/misfire with a Knight as long as reasonable precautions are taken except, maybe a rare fluke of powder or priming failure. Which is kind of sad as I figure the question of whether the gun is going to go off is part of the muzzleloader challenge.
smile.gif

I always punch the bore and fire 3 caps into the patched ramrod before loading.

Another hunting partner got a new .45 cal Knight last year and has shot over 50 loads with pellets and no problems what so ever. But he follows every rule mentioned above for cleaning and loading.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 01-13-2002).]

The one thing that I have not been doing is fireing a cap off, after the dry patch.

Thanks for all your HELP.

I used one of those disc muzzleloaders a few years ago.If you are reusing the disks it might add to your problem.They seem to warp after a few shots and when its cold out they will actually blow up if used repeatedly.must be something to do with the plastic being cold and getting heated up fast by the primer.This was when they first came out though so they might have improved them since then but if the disks warped you might not be getting all the flame into the breech.Just a thought..........Horst

Top Bottom