Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloading Shotgun Need Help!

M

mountain man

Looking for anybody who has info on setting up the powder and or shot charge. I have a CVA Trapper 12ga., using #6 shot, plastic shot cups,cardboard wads. I have shot it before but was not very successful in target practice, even at 20 yards.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mountain man, In my experience, I've had no luck using plastic shot cups. I load mine just like the old timers. Powder, over powder card, thick fiber wad, shot, and over shot card. I use a Navy arms with a poly choke. I shoot shot from it with the choke screwed tight. I also use volume for volume loading. Ex. 80 grains pyrodex and the same measurer full of shot. Hope this helps some. I also have a test of this gun on my web page with about the same info. Keep yer powder dry, Jay

mountain man,

I recently bought a Knight TK2000. I use 120 grains of pyrodex with 3.5" plastic wad cups and a styrofoam wad over. Ignition is #11 percussion cap. Anyway, here's my advice: try different shot sizes. Using #6 shot with the above specs mine has a terrible pattern even at 30-35 yards. With #5's the pattern is very good, even at 45 yards. Kicks like a mule, but still fun to shoot. Good luck!

Shovel Buck, NWbuck,
Thanks to both for the info. Will take it and give it a shot.

mountain man

NWBuck,

I've read that the muzzleloading shotguns don't pattern well at even medium ranges like 30 or more yards. I was just in a store talking about the TK2000 and these are the stats I got:

120 grains of FFg GOEX black powder & 2-1/2 ounces of #4 Knight RedHot lead shot in 3-1/2 inch shot cups (340 pellets per cup)

25 yards - 330 shot in a 30 inch diameter which is 97% of the shot hitting in the 30 in circle
30 yards - 328 shot in a 30 inch diameter which is 96% of the shot hitting in the 30 in circle
40 yards - 389 shot in a 30 inch diameter which is 85% of the shot hitting in the 30 in circle

I don't know what the conditions were when they shot them but a 30 inch circle is bigger than anything I've ever used, what turkey has a head that big?!?! I've always used a paper plate for my target. I hope the jibberish I wrote will help ya'll out.

NWBUCK,
I would have to agree with you. I to have a TK2000. I use 110 grains of pyrodex. Knight 5 shot and 3.5 in wads. At 40 yards I get 25-30 pellets in the red area of a turkey target. I agree, this baby kicks like a mule. The old boy I shot this year didn't now what hit him. I will never use a different gun for turkeys.

vman,

Yep...they really pack a punch. I put a nice tom down with no flopping...just lights out. But then again, I guess it should have at only 12 yards
grin.gif
I also fell in love with the TruGlo sight that comes standard with the gun. Definetely a great turkey gun. I just wish they weren't such a pain in the rear to clean.

NWBUCK,
Mine was at 30 yards, and he went down with no flopping to. I won mine at a NWTF banquet so I convinced myself that I needed a scope. Your right though the sights that come with the gun are great.

Top Bottom