Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy not gettin it done

Prolly a high hit....but I would say I switched from muzzys to something else from lack of blood trail. Never was impressed with muzzys.

Also, are you using new sharp heads? Any broadhead of any brand that has ever been shot at a target or animal needs to be resharpened or replaced before using hunting again.

Although it has already been said well here in this post(see above)...there are two things that come up routinely related to archery deer hunting that still surprise me when I see them or hear about them. But I can't count the number of times over the years otherwise accomplished archers either:

1. Lose an animal due to using dull broadheads, not comprehending how dramatically they are impacting the effectiveness of their broadheads.

OR

2. Don't have a good understanding of the physiology of the animal they are targeting, particularly as it relates to "high" hits. This is usually manifested in a declaration of hitting the "void" or "no man's land" when the arrow goes in too high and the deer is not recovered.

I am not ripping on anyone per se, but I think we all owe it to the animals we are pursuing to collectively upgrade our understanding of and commitment to ALWAYS using razor(new) sharp broadheads on game. This may or may not have been the case in this thread, but I know from personal experience that Muzzy's work fine, so my suspicion is that dull broadheads may have been the real reason for the problem. BTW, ONE shot into the dirt makes a broadhead dull enough to not reuse it prior to changing or resharpening blades.

jmyrtue2 said:
Prolly a high hit....but I would say I switched from muzzys to something else from lack of blood trail. Never was impressed with muzzys.

Once i hit 50 lb of pull back im goin to rage or bloodrunner

indiana bow hunter

Like most say, you hit the deer bad. Broadheads hitting the right place will put them down everytime. It is simple biology. If you got shot in the heart and lungs, you will die without doctors help and a miracle. Deer don't have this option so they will die everytime if it hits something good.

You also stated that this was your first kill with the bow. I can't tell you how many deer I have tracked from beginners that hit high. I know I did too. Sucks but get back on the horse, but don't make excuses about your equipment not putting the deer in the truck. Your shooting did. Truth hurts and i mean nothing negative about it. I have done it too.

Top Bottom