Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy question....

Slinger

I shoot a TC Triumph and it shoots tighter groups after it has been shot. It isn't a big deal @ 100 yards in, but @ 200 I am not comfortable taking a shot. I am thinking I will fire a round before I go, but I don't want to do this every time before I hunt. Anyone else have a muzzy like this, and what do you do?

I personally wouldn't want to be walking around with a dirty barrel. Depending on what you are shooting it can be quite corrosive and cause your barrel to pit in no time.

As far as grouping better after a few shots I would saying your barrel warming up would have something to do with it.

I would say to tighten up your shot group try different powder, loads, and bullets to see what works best in your rifle. I switched from pellets to loose powder this year and my shot group has tightened up dramatically.

Me too on my triumph (2nd shot is always the most accurate). After cleaning, I always shoot one primer before loading.

The barrel is ridiculously tight on those Triumph models from 3-5 years ago. I can't shoot the sabots that come with the Powerbelt bullets. I literally had to put all my weight on the rod to even get the bullet set.

I ordered some new sabots from a company in Arkansas called MMP Sabots. My groupings greatly increased with those thinner sabots. I also started using ballistic sub-bases from that same company...that also seemed to help a lot.

Here is the most accurate setup I've found for my Triumph = 125 grains of Triple7>ballistic sub-base>MMP Sabot>250 grain Powerbelt bullets.

Along with the suggestion of trying different powder, I would strongly suggest trying Blackhorn 209. It shoots a lot cleaner than most of the other brands which increases the consistency of each shot. I've also had good luck with harvester crush rib sabots if you want another brand to try.

My gun along with all family and friends guns are sighted in with a completely clean cold barrel.
Imho blackhorn 209 is the most consistent powder you can shoot without going smokeless.
Practice how you play is our motto. I k ow I'm going to be shooting from a clean barrel the first shot at an animal so that's how I shoot my groups at the range. Yeah it takes more time but the added confidences is worth it to me

If you go the black horn route, make sure you buy quality shotgun 209 primers such as cci... The muzzle loading 209 primers don't seem to burn hot enough and I experienced a lot of hang fires until I got the cci ones.. I quit using black horn and went back to triple 7 though... heck of a lot faster and easier to mess with

I don't know if the u are supposed to fire a cap or two off in the inline muzzleloaders prior to loading like the old side locks were. I do know I still do it myself maybe just an old habit, however the reason behind that was to burn off any excess oil left in the barrel from being stored. I have a CVA optima pistol and have consistent 2" groups at 150 yards with 100 gr. White Hotz powder and shooting Hornady XTP 250 sabots. Good luck to ya this season.

My encore would shoot different with a fouled barrel compared to a clean barrel and that's how I had it sighted in so I knew where a second or third shot would go. Didn't like the idea of needing to run wet patch then a couple dry ones while standing out in the cold. My gun stays in my truck until season is over and never had any trouble with corrosion. Switched to blackhorn when it 1st came out and now the 15th shot is just as accurate as the 1st. I still fire a couple primers prior to loading it, but don't clean it until season is over or I'm done ML hunting. Just don't take the gun inside then back out into the cold all the time. Federal and CCI MAGS are the 2 hottest 209 primers with Federal being a little hotter. Remember the blackhorn and loose 777 powders are 20% hotter so you need to reduce the amount used, or 120 grains in volume of either is equal to 150 grains of loose pyrodex or pellets.

Top Bottom