Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

my 2004 bow buck

hillrunner

PMA Member
this story starts about a week ago. I was doing an all day sit and seeing severel bucks. The shooters were staying out of range for the most part, but at 3:30 that changed. I had just finished a rattling sequence when I caught a glimpse of a buck coming through the trees. I could see he was a shooter(for me anyway)and it looked like he was coming my direction. I got myself in position for the shot, and the buck came right in . He passed one of my shooting lanes but I opted to wait for him to slow. As he entered the next lane I had the bow drawn and waiting. After releasing the arrow, I almost felt out of my tree in disbelief. The arrow hit awful, it was to far back, and so high it looked to have gone in above the spine. The deer ran off with the arrow sticking out of both sides. We looked for him that night a little, then we looked real hard on Saturday but found nothing more than a few specks of blood. My hope at this point was that he would recover ok. Now fast forward to thursday the 11th. I was in a different stand doing another all day sit. I saw several bucks but not many shooters for most the day. Around 3:30 I spotted a good buck in the distance. For the next hour I tried to lure him my direction but he wasnt taking. After a while a couple of does wander in and begin to browse near my stand. I thought sure this would bring him out but he seemed content to stay right where he was. It wasnt until a small yearling buck came and bothered the does that he decided it was safe. As he walked my way I couldnt believe my eyes. This was the same deer I had wounded ! The cut above his spine was obvious as he worked his way closer to me. He came in to about 8 yds before finaly stopping, I released the arrow and it hit with a thud. The buck took off with my arrow sticking out of its side, blood was shooting higher than the arrow and I knew he wouldnt go far. He made it about 50 yds and dropped!He's not the biggest buck Ive taken, but Ill never forget the turn of events this one took me through!
24992004_bow_buck-med.jpg
24992004_bow_buck_pickup-med.jpg
In the 2nd picture you can see where the 1st arrow hit if you look right above his brow tines. You can also see how cut up his mouth looks, I think this may be from pulling the 1st arrow out.

That's awesome Brad, I'm so glad it all worked out for you and you got a second chance. That's got to feel good. Congrats on a real nice buck!
smile.gif

Congrats on a nice buck he will look good on your wall I know he would on mine
grin.gif
and quite a story to go with it, sounds like destiny.

Great deer and way to stick with it. It is an easier feeling on the mind when you don't have to worry if this buck made it or not.

Top Bottom