Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My BIggest Bird Yet

mfoster1111

Well, with work kickin my tail all spring, i finally caught a break and bought a third season tag. WEnt out for opener on 4/19 with my daughter(it was her 4th birthday!! SHe had a blast playing with barbies, eating goldfish and drinking milk. All the while i was foolishly trying to draw a nice tom and hen off of the ridge about 70 yards away. About 10 minutes after i started in on that bird, my daughter whispers..."Daddy, look out there" i lean back and see two hens 10 yards from the blind right on the decoys. What a good spotter!! ALong with the ladies there were two or three jakes and one gobbler, he stayed just out of range but we could see his fan just over some downed timber. We didnt score but you can tell by the pic she was having as much fun as Dad was.

I took Friday off to hunt a buddies farm near Fairfield. We woke up late because his power went off for some reason, so we had little to no time to get out to the farm(which happened to be only a quarter mile away). As soon as we get back to the timber we can hear at least 5 different gobblers in the timber and we get set up about 80 yards from one of them. We were set up, back to back on a tree, in a nice clearing that the owner who lives there uses as a camp site.....complete with an outdoor crapper with a crescent moon in the door!! Two hens pitched out from above us into the nearby bean field and the tom we had been watching went with them. No matter, there was still plenty of gobbling going on so we stayed still. I started to hear some ground gobbles and a very insistent hen with them. I started to repeat every sound she did(to the best of my limited abilities) and each time we would get the boys to light up. They got closer and closer(but we couldnt see them since there was a 2 to 3 foot high gooseberry undergrowth) so i cut back on the decibel level and finally my buddy says he thinks he hears a tom and the wings draggin in the leaves. Not 15 seconds later out pops this old boy at 15 yards in full strut headed right for the decoy. I forgot the camera that morning so all i have is a yard photo, that outhouse would have made a sweet back drop!! Oops. i see that one of my files is too large. Will post the harvest pic later.....
1303silly_blind-med.JPG

Ahhh, figured it out, here is the harvest pic(in my yard!).
wall.gif
Oh well. The tom was 25 lbs, 10.75" beard, and 1-1/8" hooks.
13034-23-2006-223t_2_-med.JPG

Congrats on the bird, but somehow I'm liking the first photo better. Nothing like seeing the enthusiasm of youth!

I love the first photo! Hunting with the little ones is priceless. Congrats on your bird and the time spent with your daughter!

Nice lookin' bird ... that first pic is too funny! Congrats on a great day afield with your daughter!
-Longspurs-

Top Bottom