Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My late season adventures

LYON

PMA Member
Hey guys I thought I'd start a thread to cover my late muzzy season. I'll try to update after each hunt I do. Hope you enjoy!

1st hunt was tonight. I got out to a spot I bow hunted hard this year. I ended up getting set up a little later than I wanted to mainly due to the issue of getting my pickup stuck in a waterway.....I shoulda went faster. Got stuck, tried to dig it out, no luck. Called a buddy who lives close by to see if he could meet me after dark and pull me out. Score! Friends are great! I bumped a small buck on my way in, saw a doe as well and didn't see a thing the whole sit. Meanwhile my brother saw six bucks on another property...... I then saw six more slickheads on my way out. Good cold night regardless if I didn't see much.

Went out this morning to a new blind we constructed this year. Old running gear with a fuel tank pedestal mounted on top and a metal framed wood shack on top of that! Redneck baby!

ForumRunner_20131224_100043.jpg

Man was it cold! We have a little propane heater in there but it was still pretty bad. About 7:30 I peaked out the window to my south east and there was a yote standing about 50 yards away. I started to get situated to take it and while I was turning I noticed another one to my west which was the direction I was facing. Window was already open so I eased my gun up and he heard me and began trotting away. It was still a pretty easy shot at only 60-70 yards but I had to hurry it because
he was almost behind some brush. So, yeah, I missed. Fun anyway. Ended up seeing about 7 deer after that. My next two days are jammed packed with Christmas activities so I will not get back out until Thursday or Friday. Good luck!

Good luck! Went out this evening, pretty cold in the stand. LOTS of bucks moving and I don't even have standing food sources. Saw a fawn at dark run laps by my stand 4 times and nothing chasing it. Guess it was just trying to warm up.:D

Good luck! Went out this evening, pretty cold in the stand. LOTS of bucks moving and I don't even have standing food sources. Saw a fawn at dark run laps by my stand 4 times and nothing chasing it. Guess it was just trying to warm up.:D

Several years ago i sat through an ice storm and had a yearling doe do the same thing. I was actually trying to shoot her but she would not hold still!

Had a fun afternoon today. Took off from work and gave my dad a call to see if he wanted to do a little push with me. He was able so we went out and stopped at a farmers house to get permission to hunt some land (we will push it tomorrow). After talking to him for a few minutes we set up a little push through a small timber. 3 does was it. At this place I bet I saw at least a dozen pheasants flying around south of this guys house. After the hunt I was driving to a location to sit for the evening and there were two roosters in a field my brother owns. They were about 30 yards into the field so I thought why not and turned around drove somewhat close and stopped the truck on the gravel road. I was surprised they didn't fly so I slowly got out and snuck down the ditch, .44 mag in hand :D everything worked to a T except when they took off flying as soon is I crested the ditch to get in position. Haha still fun to try.
So now to the evening. I went to a spot where I sat Monday evening and didn't see a thing except for when I was walking in and out. I set up on a east hilltop looking to the west down into a creek bottom and then up onto a west hillside and cornfield. About 3:30 or so I spotted a couple of does moving around and about 4:00 I could see a nice buck following a doe around on the west hilltop. I decided to sneak over there and maybe get lucky. On my way over I walked about five yards from a bedded buck. This is short crp and he didn't move at all.

ForumRunner_20131226_192626.jpg

I almost walked right past. Crazy! So I continued on and ended up seeing the buck I was sneaking up on wasn't a shooter. I finished my hunt on the west hill and ended up seeing about 20 deer over there. On my way back out I wanted to see if that buck was still there so I went back that direction. Sure enough he was still laying there. I ended up getting about 6 feet from him and even pushed on him with a stick and he wouldn't budge. Pretty sure he must be injured or something. I'll go back and check on him tomorrow and if he's still there I may help him out of his misery before the yotes do it. So all in all it was a fun afternoon! Saw a bunch of pheasants and a good amount of deer!

Haha crazy afternoon! I had two roosters feeding 20 yards from me while I changed clothes in the field this afternoon. I couldnt believe it!

Did a push with my dad and brother this afternoon. Saw close to 20 deer, one buck, I don't think he was a shooter but was too far away and in a timber to tell for sure. No shots taken, although I did almost have a rabbit with the .44. After our push my brother and I went back to the spot where I walked up on the buck yesterday and sure enough he was laying right there, dead. No bullet holes, nothing. Blood coming out of his mouth. Not sure what the deal was. I ended the evening with a sit. Didn't see a deer during the sit but did have 11 turkeys walk by at about 50 yards. Purring like crazy! Fun to hear.

He may have been hit. Closest roads are about 1/2 mile away (both gravel). Who knows.

I did a quick push with my dad this afternoon and only saw a handful of does. After that I went and sat until dark and saw one doe. Froze while I was at it too. Still beats workin'.

I must confess I have an addiction. During the last week when I have done these few little pushes and I have walked, I find myself mysteriously staring at the ground rather than up and in front of me like I should be. Sheds are taking a hold of my attention! Haha! Three years ago I barely ever looked for sheds much less thought about them during deer season. Now I can't wait to start walking in the late winter!

I've been slacking a bit on my updates here...

Tuesday Morning found me sitting by a fence post where I shot my muzzy buck last year. It is very near to a bedding area and deer typically work their way from the North right by me on their way in to bed. I ended up seeing 25 deer by about 9:00 and 3 coyotes. Out of the 25, only 2 were bucks. One dink and a decent 8. Fun morning but no shots at anything. This sit was chilly but not terrible as there wasn't much for wind. It's a tough call because there is an insulated tower blind about 50 yards north of this fence post that I could sit in. However, that's 50 yards further out into the open that I'd rather not walk and the noise of getting in the blind is more than I like so I opted to sit on the ground.

Wednesday morning, a buddy of mine came down and we both went back to the same spot I was at Tuesday morning. We did however decide to get into the tower as the wind would have been way too much to withstand on the ground. We only saw 4 deer and one coyote. However, we did have a good time playing with a mouse that was in the blind :) Did you know if you hold a mouse between your hands it is an amazingly good hand warmer??

We were out of the blind by about 9:00 and met my father-in-law at 9:30 to do a couple of pushes nearby. The first push we saw close to 15 deer. My buddy shot at a doe and missed :rolleyes: The second hunt of the morning only produced 2 does.
After the second hunt my buddy had to get heading home and my brother joined us for a couple more pushes. The first push of the afternoon was great. We saw a lot of deer, just not anything we wanted to shoot. My brother walked the main area and figured he saw at least 40 deer, most of which ran the wrong way, as usual. I had a coyote come trotting past at about 80 yards. I stopped him and wouldn't you know it, he stopped right behind a tree. And of course when he took off I couldn't get him to stop again and I didn't take a shot due to there being too much brush. Oh well. The second hunt of the afternoon produced about 6 does. So not a bad day but no bucks on the ground.
I may go out for a sit tomorrow morning or afternoon so I'll try to update after that. Then saturday will be a big day of hunting with a bunch of friends. We have a good streak going with this yearly hunt with at least one nice buck down every year, so I imagine there will be at least one harvest photo for saturday night!

Sat out Friday night and didn't see squat.

Saturday morning I went to do some hunting with a bunch if friends and some family. Its an annual hunt we've been doing for the last 4 or 5 years and its always a blast! They have some great ground to hunt and the company is worth going for even if no deer are shot. This year only one buck was gotten. It was actually shot before we even began the first drive. One of the guys was heading out to sit and there was a buck on a hillside opposite of where he was sitting. He wasn't planning to shoot it but then it ran right to him for no apparent reason. So he pulled out his handgun and took it down.

ForumRunner_20140105_215521.jpg

Not huge but a good buck.

The first push we had about 20 or so deer run out of the timber.

Push number 2 is a fantastic river bottom piece that goes untouched all year until this hunt. Myself and two other guys did the walking and we had other people posting. Not sure if it was the wind or what but the deer did not want to go the right direction and ended up running around us walkers and right back into the timber. I shot at a dandy 10 but didn't have a great opening and missed. Regardless it was still a good hunt! I saw 30-40 deer and the guys on the other side of the timber said there were at least another 75 that ran out that way that I could not see. Those deer were running out the side of the timber, circling around and running back in behind us. So as we are walking, deer are running up on us from behind. Craziness! One doe was shot during this push.

The rest of the day was not quite as crazy, saw a lot more deer. A couple more does were shot. And then last push of the day produced a visual of a huge buck that went the wrong way. Of course. That's the way it goes. I was tempted multiple times with does however I just couldn't pull the trigger and fill my tag yet. Still hoping to get a couple sits in this week and maybe, just maybe get one of the bucks I've been waiting for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom