Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My new longbow

Kansasdeerslayer

PMA Member
I meant to post this a long time ago, but I just haven't made the time to do it. Last Feb. I won a new bow in a raffle at the Kansas Bowhunters assoc. annual banquet. Mike Dunnaway, of Wild Horse Creek Bows, donates a bow every year. It costs 20 dollars per ticket and they only sell 52 tickets. I was the lucky sucker(for the first time ever) and got to have Mike build me anything I wanted.

Since I already have a Palmer recurve, I decided to have him make me my first longbow. Mike builds great recurves as well. I wanted a blind friendly bow, the Palmer is 60" and I dont like shooting it out of the double bull, so I went with a 56". I got to pick from a HUGE assortment of woods. He had 30 or so bows on display so I got to see alot of different colors, grains, etc. I chose olive ash for the limbs, with the grain matching on all 4 faces. For the riser I went with a beautiful combination of maple, cocobolo, and bloodwood. His shop is in Perry, KS which is only an hour from me, so when he had it mostly finished, I got to come out and have the grip fitting to my hand prefectly!!! He then wrapped it with beaver tail leather.

Now when I got the call in early May that my bow was ready for pick up, I was on my way immediately. This bow is a piece of art in my eyes, but the only thing better than how it looks is how it shoots. My Palmer shoots really nice, but this thing is incredible. It is so smooth and light as a feather. I was stacking arrows instantly. the way the bow melts into my hand, I have never experienced this before with any bow. After 9 months with her, I am more in love than the first day I shot it. If any of you guys are looking for a quality stick bow, please consider giving Mike a look. The guy's craftsmenship is second to none, and I gaurantee you will never meet a nicer, more down to earth guy.

Specs are 56", 53 lbs @27"

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0585-1.jpg

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Totally Awesome no doubt about it. I won a longbow 10 years ago or so and it is on display in the mancave. Have tried to shoot it but haven't practiced like I should. Maybe someday. Congrats it looks incredible.

I know you got yours for the price of a ticket but what does he normally charge for a bow. Does he build only long bows or does he build recurve bows as well. Looks like he does some awesme work. Congrats on your new toy!

I know you got yours for the price of a ticket but what does he normally charge for a bow. Does he build only long bows or does he build recurve bows as well. Looks like he does some awesme work. Congrats on your new toy!

He builds reflex/deflex longbows and recurves as well. I plan on having him build me a recurve in the future. I think his bows run between $500 and $700.

Love that longbow! My first trad bow was a reflex/deflex long bow. I've since gone to recurves but those longbows sure are silent after the shot!

Top Bottom