Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My shortest hunt ever.

moosehunter

PMA Member
Tuesday after work I moved a stand to a spot that most would think was stupid. Other than a trail there wouldn't be a reason to put a stand where I did. Kinda in the middle of the woods. But from a stand on top of the hill I could see that the trail was used as a travel route by mostly bigger bucks. So yesterday I sat there and called in a dandy 8 pointer. Very narrow frame but extra tall and heavy beamed. He walked straight in to me and I blew my chance at him when he saw me draw. None the less I was still excited to hunt the stand again. Today after work I hurried to the same spot. It was 35 degrees and windy so I put on a couple extra layers. The wind however helped me get to the stand with some cover noise. Once I settled in I looked at my watch as I always do and it was 2:45. I guess 10 minutes passed and a nice looking 10 was walking towards my stand. He stopped and worked a rub at 45 yards then moved ahead and worked another rub. I heard a grunt behind me and I looked over my shoulder to see a smaller but decent 8 moving in towards the buck in front of me. I pulled out my camera thinking I just might get a fight on video. The smaller buck postured some and grunted a few times but thought otherwise when the bigger buck took a few steps towards him. I guess he didn't want to fight after all. So now I had to make something happen with the 10 cause he was gonna pick up and move on soon so I used a True Talker, turned my head and grunted. I got his attention but not interest. He started walking away and I tried it again but no response. I thought it was a lost cause but he stopped at 50 or 60 yards and worked another rub so I took out the Buck Roar and did a snort/wheeze at him and that got him coming immediately. To my advantage I had a V in my tree to shoot through if he keeps coming on course. The disadvantage was he was now directly downwind. But he keeps on course, I managed to draw and put the 20 yard pin on him but I couldn't get him stopped so with a very small window I let it go. I hit him a bit far back but I knew right away it was a lethal shot as I saw massive amounts of blood already pouring out. He fell a short 25 yards from my stand. I think a P&Y buck with a bow is always a great hunt so I'm pleased. He also turned out to be a 12 point. Especially since I found out Wednesday this week that I have 2 torn ligaments in my rotator cuff and I was having trouble pulling the bow back. Oh yeh, almost forgot. I looked at my watch when I lowered the bow down and it was 3:17. 32 minutes and it was over.

727-2014-10-31_15-17-01_630_-_copy.jpg

727-2014-10-31_15-24-26_692_-_copy.jpg

View from the deer to my tree stand

727-2014-10-31_15-22-37_270_-_copy.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great deer and goes to show you how unpredictability can trick even the sneakers buck.

Top Bottom