Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My weekend project (haybale Blind)

pete

Well for some time now I've been wanting to build a haybale blind. A couple weeks ago I was at my dad's and he was tearing out an old cattle lot and piling up these old cattle panels to haul to the junkyard. I salvaged several and made it out yesterday to start my project. Several years ago I had overpurchased treated 4 x 4's and they have been sitting in my garage waiting for use so I built a 4 X 6' framework out of them. I then decided that it needed a floor put in it.
11-project1.jpg

I finished the floor and decided to put carpet on it to soundproof it somewhat.
11-project3.jpg

I then cut down the panels to fit the frame and used fencing staples to attach them.
11-project4.jpg

I capped off the one end and cut out three windows.

11-project6.jpg

11-project5.jpg

I still haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do for a door on the other end. Also I am going to ziptie a tarp around to make it waterproof, and have been trying to locate a straw based erosion control blanket locally. I've been having issues finding one so if anybody has any ideas let me know. I'm excited to get it finished and see how it works!

Last edited:
Quick Supply in Johnston ask for Holly, should have straw erosion blankets on hand or they can order it for you. Looks awesome by the way! Should work out great for you. They probably have some sort of water proof membrane in black that would work for waterproofing as well, instead of a tarp.

DoneRight said:
Quick Supply in Johnston ask for Holly, should have straw erosion blankets on hand or they can order it for you. Looks awesome by the way! Should work out great for you. They probably have some sort of water proof membrane in black that would work for waterproofing as well, instead of a tarp.

Thanks DoneRight! Just what I was looking for!

ShedderKG said:
Looks good...how big of an erosion blanket is normally needed to cover a blind that size??

Most are sold in rolls of 8' x 112' but my guess is all I will need is 8' x 25'. The rolls I have priced online are around $40 but the shipping is outrageous and trying to find a local supplier.

Most are sold in rolls of 8' x 112' but my guess is all I will need is 8' x 25'. The rolls I have priced online are around $40 but the shipping is outrageous and trying to find a local supplier.

That isn't terribly priced...hope you find a local tho. Can't wait to see finished product!

Looking good, :way:, be sure to post the finished product pics too!

I have also thought about building one of these too, but so far have not. How do you keep mice, skunks, etc, out of them?

Daver said:
Looking good, :way:, be sure to post the finished product pics too!

I have also thought about building one of these too, but so far have not. How do you keep mice, skunks, etc, out of them?

I'm a little concerned about rodents too. I plan to put some mouse poison inside it and pull it out of the field after the season and store it inside a machine shed.

Well finally just about finished with this thing. Been working on it during my mid day breaks between morning and evening hunts the last 5 days. Got the plastic on and got the straw matting on today. Just have 2 windows left to finish up but I ran out of hog rings. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121105_150404.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_150404.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 581
  • ForumRunner_20121105_150423.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_150423.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 589
  • ForumRunner_20121105_150440.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_150440.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 585
  • ForumRunner_20121105_150457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_150457.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 659
  • ForumRunner_20121105_150513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_150513.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 585
gundog870 said:
Can you show us the door? Im diggin it.

I'm not really proud of the door. It just flips up and you crawl in has bungee straps on both sides so you can pull it closed tight from the inside or outside. I can get better pics on Thursday when I go back out to the farm. Back to work for two days then back to bowhunting for 5.

ForumRunner_20121106_091626.jpg

Thinkin Rut said:
Where did you end up getting the blanket and what was the cost? Looks great.

I got it at Quick Supply in Johnston, IA. It was right at $40 with tax. I'm not sure how long it will hold up supposed to be rated for 24 months. My dad suggested we wrap it in Bale net wrap and that may extend its life.

Top Bottom