Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Wife still hasn't thrown me out of the house!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Yet.
Just put a few trays of new (stored) seeds in I got. Persimmons are the small ones in the trays that came up super well & doing great. Chestnuts, apples & pears doing well. yes, I live at end of a cul-de-sac and really only have 1 neighbor. or maybe I would have been lynched by now. This area has "grown" in many ways and I think it might keep going that direction. Lots of fun. Think I just set myself up for way too much work down the road.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Are you grafting them or just going to plant enough to get some females?I purchased some grafted bareroot but they died at the graft.They do look good

I have some grafted and most r from seed that a buddy has some that all the trees produce so we're wondering if it may b some freak muti sex tree. Maybe half of total trees r grafts & Half r seed. Some crazy mad science & experimenting going on. :). Just for fun I may graft some multi species apple trees like u see. Mainly standard stuff though. Got 3 types of chestnut, 2 types persimmon, maybe 6-8 pear varieties, 15-20 apple varieties I think ill just expand so over next 1-3 yrs I can fill areas on my farms I want these specialized trees.

Some types ill plant in spring, many others ill be transplanting to 15-30 gallon bags & keep em babied.

Got some apple trees I really like and if I can find a source for b118 I am gonna graft some scions on the b188 rootstock in feb/march an start lots more new trees. Need to locate a source for that rootstock (shouldn't b too hard- just no luck yet with tiny bit of looking- any help appreciated).

Last edited:
What are you going to do after you plant them? Prune them, spray them? Fert them? A lot of work and money for all those trees? I have some around my cabin I baby. I have some out in my fields I planned on just letting go,,,,,but I pretty much baby them too. Sometimes I wish I did not plant so many!

I am babying some for 1 year, then plant. Some others, the extreme will be 5 years in my yard. In all this time, yes, they get PERFECT water, perfect fertilizer, weed control, disease monitoring, staking, pruning, etc. It's not as much time & work as some would think. I've planted trees on my farms from seeds to 1 year old trees and actually planted 5 year old trees SO I'm not opposed to directly going straight to farm in any form. BUT - this way, I have a lot more control. For example, no matter the case, the last 2 years, unless a guy has some major equipment (water tanks, trucks, trailers, etc) & huge time - they would have lost most of what they planted. Then, yes, there's a group I don't fit into but is very common - guys that don't keep up with weed control, fertilizer, spraying or disease monitoring. If I had a dollar for every tree planting I've seen fail because folks just don't do the OBVIOUS & somewhat easy things they need to do, well - I'd have a lot more $ to buy trees. :) Some things, even the most anal can't control and drought and some disease, etc. Also, by starting in rootmakers, you are developing a far superior root system compared to bare roots or from standard pots. So, even 1 year old trees in rootmaker pots have far superior roots that will allow much better success at planting, grow faster, produce faster & have far less failure.
So, this is just one piece of the puzzle on success with trees and you'll absolutely see me continue to do direct seeding or pulling my tree planter with bare root seedlings. Place for everything.
No, the cost is not enormous & it's ALMOST a 1 & done type cost. The rootmaker pots absolutely do not break the bank. You have many options for soil but I do spend $ & get the blue bagged moisture controlled soil. I'll even fertilize down the road with some miracle grow & pelletized lime and it's cheap in the end. Pots are re-useable. Trees from seed are nothing or very cheap if you want some some different varieties like I do. Grafted trees are not bad in bulk. Grafting yourself is cheaper yet. unless your a maniac, I'd save some hassle & buy already grafted trees though. Buying in bulk for 5' tall grafted apple/pears is $10 and that's about the most expensive tree in my whole line up. Many others were $0 (seed), & purchased seed, maybe a nickel or less a tree if I had to guess? Some others I shopped around for were $1-4 a tree (lot of variables). I specifically & only wanted to target: premium & my preferred apple varieties & pear varieties (best in MY OPINION & what I wanted), 3 preferred chestnut varieties, the 2 persimmons which WILL grow well on my farm & a few other unique things that my farms do not have. My farms are already loaded with 5+ varieties of oaks all over the place so my time on oaks is best devoted to releasing premium oaks VS planting more of the same. The only oak I'll probably plant is some hybrids & DCO's since my farm lacks those.

Well you sure know your business. I just planted Various Nusery type Apples,Pears, and Dwarf oaks. Some bulk Persimmons and a Pear that was supposed to be aKorean Giant, that was grafted wrong and I ended up with a Pear that is one of the oldest known. The root was this pear. Humanly unedible, but the deer may like them . All the persimmons died, even with care. Guy sent me more,,all of them died, except one that is now 8 inches tall after 4 yrs. This was a large Iowa nursery too, guy was supposed to be an expert? I did get a Persimmon pit from my neighbor, before they cut his tree down and sold the farm and that grew good. Is 8 ft tall now. I think it should haveboth male and female flowers on it cause parent tree did. Bottom line is my 26 or so fruiting trees were and are a lot of care. Fun to do though and with some fert, hopefully a lot of fruit some day. Fighting pests and keeping critters off them is a lot of work though.

The pear, if you have a rootstock with the wrong kind of fruit - you can "EASILY" graft the "RIGHT" kind of pear on it. Or multiple types of pear. Personally, I really like the Kieffer & Big Koreans & a few others. There should be multiple folks that could help you with this or there's some youtube vids on grafting apple trees (or pear) that would help make it pretty easy.
Persimmons are a pain, no doubt. Transplanting is not fun. I usually find that persimmons are best bought in large qty for cheap and planted in various soil variations but just count on a large % dying. Personally, I'd just order 100 every year and maybe even order from different sources. No question, I'd order some grafted ones and talk to folks at Keeling Nursery - they have some different types as well. I have had good success planting MO DNR persimmons but I did high #'s and at best, 1/2 made it, which was well worth the time. Persimmon seed I got was from maybe 20 miles south of my farms so I am pretty confident they will grow will in climate there. I would prefer direct seeding the seed at the prepped field location on farm as opposed to bare root transplants but I still do both. Grafted & different varieties are worth a shot for sure & probably the route to go but cost is the downside there. A mixed approach, adding some year by year & trying new things is best approach imo.

I can't believe the level of crazy that you are able to operate at
It's still a disease. Maybe it's like the "functional alcoholic"??? :)

Last edited:
Where do you buy all your pots from skip? I thought the rootmakers were a little pricey.....

Well, with all the fall work to do and hunting, I just choose not to do fall tree plantings. It's time for getting crops out & relaxing & that's it. Which creates a little problem for trees in rootmakers. Not liking incredibly low temps they need to go in garage. which is what I did on my little break here. You're actually looking at way over 500 trees that are stacked in a way that doesn't bend the stems and this all takes up 2 longer garage stalls - every inch. I'm parking outside all winter. wife still has her spot and she still hasn't thrown me out of the house. Maybe I'll get eviction papers yet but so far so good.

picture.php

The oldest trees in there are finishing their 2nd growing season. They got babied all summer, water & good soil & rootmaker pots. Some were grown from seed starting this spring - those are obviously smaller and most are in the 1 gallon pots.

I wonder if I tried to put my house in "forest reserve" tax free program if I'd qualify?!? ;). Ha. It's a blast. I will admit- it sucks parking outside. To be clear - I AM THE ONE PARKING OUTSIDE- not my wife. 12-16" of snow on my car last week. It's worth it though!

Top Bottom