Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nanking Cherry or American Cranberry

Rudd

Life Member
Well I spent the better part of the weekend removing some very tired Cedars. With the Ice storm of last winter and the previous home owner removing all lower branches their use as a wind break was minimal. I removed approximately 50' of them running North/South and then another 75' running East/West. I planted 70 White Pines 3 years ago and they are doing very well. I am thinking either the Nanking Cherry or the American Cranberry would be a fast growing windbreak that helps that Naked feeling of getting rid of all those trees. Suggestions? Best time to plant? Best place to purchase?

I planted both varieties in my 5 acre planting this spring. They are both doing very well. I don't know much about either one except the forester told me the turkeys,pheasants,and quail love them. This is the prime time to be planting trees. They will have all winter to sit dormant and can really kick it in in the spring.
waytogo.gif

I've got some Nankings, some American Plums, and some Red Dogwoods. The dogwoods are my favorite and probably the fastest growing. The whips I planted in '05 are 4'-5' tall already. Stop by and check them out if you want.

Highbush cranberry and ninebark are the most reliable shrubs to plant. That's not only my opinion but also the opinion of every forestry pro I know. Highbush cranberry would probably be considered "prettier" for landscaping. If you like the gnarly look, go with ninebark. Both available from the DNR. I have both in my riparian buffer. Planted in 2002, they both have the ground canopied between 10 foot rows and many are 10 to 12 ft. high. Deer have bothered my dogwoods and nankings much more than highbush and ninebark.

The High Bush Cranberry does real well especially if you have good soil and soil moisture.

Nannyberry can make a little thicker screen perhaps but I think you would be happy with either of them. Ninebark doesn't get quite as tall but perhaps more adaptable to poorer planting sites.

Purchase thru the State Nursery IDNR Catalog or Coldstream Farms Cold Stream Farms

Top Bottom