Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ne ia dnr mtng

Nick,

It went very well, great turnout. As expected the big concerns are deer numbers and doing away with the antlerless seasons. They informed the group that there is a high probability that the November season will be gone next year. They also "seem" to be as concerned as we are about numbers, but admitted that they get a great amount of pressure from the Farm Bureau to lower the count and they are lobbying a lot harder than the sportsman are right now. I think it went well overall and I hope the other meetings around the state have a good turnout as well. We shall see I guess!

In the spirit of the Christmas season, I must quote a legend.

BINGO!!!!! (cousin Eddie - 1989)

As long as you don't piss your pants and forget your name for a half hour every time the old lady fires up the microwave:drink2:

Are there any other public meetings going on in other parts of the state. Where do you find the press releases on the DNR page?

They posted our meeting in the local papers. Im not sure if it was on there site or not.

I would contact your local DNR representatives (fisheries, hunting, parks, etc..) they will know if you are going to have one. If you find out about a meeting, tell everyone that you can. Someone in our area told the guys at Oneota Outfitters and it spread very well through them. Definately post it on here if you anyone hears of one. :way:

What does "Lobbying", mean ? How do we "Lobby"? Does it mean $$$ ? Or going up to the Capital and pounding on doors or desks ? Just wondering. Cards and Letters,,just don't seem like enough.

I wish I had known about this meeting. Where was it, who was running it, and how many hunters were there?

Was there any talk about laws regarding party hunting (eliminating large groups) or no party hunting? What about buck management (must have 4 points per side)?

Once again, I wish I would have known. I would have loved to have been there.

What does "Lobbying", mean ? How do we "Lobby"? Does it mean $$$ ? Or going up to the Capital and pounding on doors or desks ? Just wondering. Cards and Letters,,just don't seem like enough.

A lot of both! Cards and letters will help also though. The problem is that for every letter they receive from hunters, they are getting 2-3 from anti's that say they hit 10 deer in 2 miles with there cars (exag) We just need to keep fighting the fight. Bottom line is that hunting is a huge revenue producer for the state so they will never want it to go away, but they have to keep the herd at a level that keeps everyone happy. One of the DNR officials that was at the meeting said "we are doing our jobs correctly if both sides are mad at us". There is alot of truth to that, tough position to be in, and I truly think there is just no happy medium.

I wish I had known about this meeting. Where was it, who was running it, and how many hunters were there?

Was there any talk about laws regarding party hunting (eliminating large groups) or no party hunting? What about buck management (must have 4 points per side)?

Once again, I wish I would have known. I would have loved to have been there.

The DNR was running the meeting, probably around 50 hunters and outdoorsmen attended.

There was not much talk about eliminating Group hunting, but was some talk about eliminating "Party hunting and using someone elses' tag"

no talk of buck management as that is an individuals choice, just ALOT of talk about herd management and overall deer numbers, along with the elimination of the "doe" seasons.

personal note: The 4 point on one side restriction is a joke, I moved here from a state that has that implemented and all that it does is make the guy who wants to kill any buck he sees, kill the first 1 1/2 old 8 point that they see. "Buck management" is a personal choice and should be! I personally manage very hard for trophy class bucks, but with that said, if it makes you happy, then shoot it! Hunting is supposed to be fun, and I am all for people killing what makes them happy.

Top Bottom