Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska's State Record Typical

NebraskaWhitetail

Had somebody ask about the "Virka Buck" which is the record typical whitetail for the state of Nebraska. The following little blurb appeared in yesterday's Lincoln Journal-Star newspaper and thought I'd share it. This buck was taken in 1983 and scores 199 2/8" as a clean typical. Typicals large enough and clean enough to score this high are true rarities - no matter what state you are from.

3300Vernon_Virka_buck-med.jpg

3300Virka_Buck.jpg

Leased to an antler collector....that cracks me up. Then he says he doen't even know where they are.....I'd sure wonder if they were mine!

That antler collector was ol [censored] Idol himself. Just another of the fine shaftings that Idol gave to many big deer owners. Get this, he leased it for $1.00 for 100 years!! Sounds crazy but its the truth and this is not the only one he did it with. Lets not forget that Idols collection went into four other collections. [censored] Idol was unscupulous right from the get go. Its this kinf of stiff that got him run out of the Whitetail industry, well, this and a few other things.

Old [censored] Idol huh?

He was quite a [censored] I heard.

[censored], [censored], [censored].
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I thimk I would have a chip put in those.That is definitely One thing I would not want to lose track of.WOW

I was wondering that too. Looks like a 5x4 to me. WOuld have probably been a world record if it had been a 5X5. I find it interesting it is not listed in Boone & Crockett. The B&C record for nebraska is the Farenholz buck at 194 1/8.

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering that too. Looks like a 5x4 to me. WOuld have probably been a world record if it had been a 5X5. I find it interesting it is not listed in Boone & Crockett. The B&C record for nebraska is the Farenholz buck at 194 1/8.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is interesting. Virka must not have entered it in B&C. It is in the Nebraska Big Game Records, though. I think I've got a copy of the original score sheet at home. I'll scan it and post it so folks can take a look at the measurements. That will answer if it truly is a 5x4.

[ QUOTE ]
That antler collector was ol [censored] Idol himself. Just another of the fine shaftings that Idol gave to many big deer owners. Get this, he leased it for $1.00 for 100 years!! Sounds crazy but its the truth and this is not the only one he did it with. Lets not forget that Idols collection went into four other collections. [censored] Idol was unscupulous right from the get go. Its this kinf of stiff that got him run out of the Whitetail industry, well, this and a few other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and what went down on the grand opening weekend of his whitetail world .

[ QUOTE ]
That and what went down on the grand opening weekend of his whitetail world .

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like there's more to the story. Do tell......

Here's the information from the score sheet (hand written on a B&C score sheet but apparently never filed with B&C)

Number of points on each antler
Right: 5
Left: 5

Tip to tip spread: 12 0/8"

Greatest spread: 27 2/8"

Inside spread of main beams: 24 4/8"

Length of main beam
Right: 31 7/8"
Left: 31 7/8"
Difference: 0/8"

Length of first point (G1)
Right: 5 0/8"
Left: 5 4/8"
Difference: 4/8"

Length of second point (G2)
Right: 15 0/8"
Left: 14 4/8"

Length of third point (G3)
Right: 12 3/8"
Left: 12 2/8"
Difference: 1/8"

Length of fourth point (G4)
Right: 3 2/8"
Left: 6 7/8"
Difference: 3 5/8"

First circumference (H1)
Right: 5 3/8"
Left: 5 3/8"
Difference: 0/8"

Second circumference (H2)
Right: 4 7/8"
Left: 5 0/8"
Difference: 1/8"

Third circumference (H3)
Right: 5 4/8"
Left: 5 6/8"
Difference: 2/8"

Fourth circumference (H4)
Right: 4 6/8"
Left: 5 2/8"

Spread credit: 24 4/8"

Right antler: 88 0/8"

Left antler: 92 3/8"

Difference: 5 5/8"

Subtotal: 204 7/8"
Minus difference (5 5/8")
Total: 199 2/8"

Date killed: 11/18/1983

So what is all this about Idol, I guess I missed it. I was wondering why I haven't seen anything of him anymore.

Top Bottom