Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

There are certainly people crying but to me it seems like the ones crying are not the ones trying to improve the laws, they're the ones trying to stop them from being improved. Regardless, we are all hunters and can make common cause in achieving the objective of maintaining our quality herd.

Yes, I bow hunt. I prefer to bow hunt as most passionate hunters do (at least in my circles). But I don't consider myself any more accomplished when I take a buck at 25 yards under my stand with my bow than I do when I take one at 300 yards with my rifle.
Liberalization of Iowa hunting laws is not improvement. It's erosion of greatness.

Improvement would be getting rid of party hunting laws (if you want to shoot a buck, buy a buck tag), getting rid of special seasons that keep popping up, etc, etc, etc.

I am for CONSERVING what we have for my kids and my kids kids. Plain and simple.

Why are you guys spending Christmas getting sucked into a fight by an obvious troll? This guys life must be so pitiful that he has nothing better to do than try to piss people off on Jesus’s Birthday. Shame on him and shame on you for falling for it! Merry Christmas all.

You sir with all due respect, are quite obviously lacking significant experience and knowledge in the world of deer hunting across this country. Almost every single state in America that maintains a legitimate huntable population of whitetail deer has seen a downward trend in overall quality. The least effected of all these states would be take a guess.....yes Iowa. Why??? Unlike every other deer hunting state that has been crippled or slowly dying, Iowa has maintained better overall deer hunting regulations to keep the quality it is known for. It is pure ignorance, GREED and laziness to even think that high powers will not effect our great deer hunting state.....pure and simple!!! What should we legalize next after high powers??? To try and compare a hunter attempting to kill a deer with a bow over a food plot to a guy toting a high powered rifle around is the worst arguement I’ve heard in I don’t know when. Really man???

How does the method that the quota is filled impact herd quality? If there is a problem with the amount of deer being harvested, the solution is to lower the quota.

Liberalization of Iowa hunting laws is not improvement. It's erosion of greatness.

Improvement would be getting rid of party hunting laws (if you want to shoot a buck, buy a buck tag), getting rid of special seasons that keep popping up, etc, etc, etc.

I am for CONSERVING what we have for my kids and my kids kids. Plain and simple.

Removing arbitrary laws that needlessly restrict hunter enjoyment, and that have no meaningful impact on herd quality, is not liberalization.

Conservation is achieved by managing the number of deer legally harvested and when they can be harvested.

Big government overreach is telling a hunter he is allowed to use an AR chambered in 350 Legend but is not allowed to use a Marlin lever action .30-30.

Removing those arbitrary restrictions would be an improvement. Your other suggestions (restricting party hunting and adding a buck quota / tag) would also be improvements.

Why are you guys spending Christmas getting sucked into a fight by an obvious troll? This guys life must be so pitiful that he has nothing better to do than try to piss people off on Jesus’s Birthday. Shame on him and shame on you for falling for it! Merry Christmas all.

Surely no one is getting “pissed off” over a simple difference of opinion. Merry Christmas!

My argument is that caliber has negligible effect on herd quality. In 2018, the Allamakee County quota was 3700 antlerless and 861 remained unharvested at the end of the season. In 2019 they had a 3800 allocated and 333 remained. In 2020 they are again at 3800 with 1139 remaining. If we need to adjust the quotas for antlerless, or implement quotas for bucks, that is the proper management procedure--not limiting the caliber of the weapon used to hunt.

Perhaps we'd meet all of our quotas if we eliminated caliber restrictions... but we probably wouldn't. Limiting the caliber the way we do in Iowa is simply arbitrary, antiquated, and ineffective.

If not for organizations like the IFC we would be stuck with these horrible laws forever. Thank God they're making progress.

Proper herd management and the most fertile land in the country have made Iowa the whitetail paradise that it is today. Proper herd management has nothing to do with arbitrary caliber restrictions and everything to do with effective quotas, season dates, and favoring residents over tourists.

I'd wager that nearly none of us are 'hunting' a deer in any meaningful sense. Not many folks are out there stalking deer with homemade longbows. They're sitting in tree stands over known paths they've scouted with cameras, that lead to food plots they've planted, with zero risk and minimal effort.

There is no appreciable difference in skill between the hunter who harvests a deer from 300 yards away with his .30-06 and the hunter who harvests the deer from 20 yards while sitting in his tree stand over the path to the soybean food plot with his brand new Bowtech Reckoning 38. Hunting is hunting, my friend.
The reason those quotas went unfilled is because not everyone thinks the answer to CWD is to completely decimate the deer herd. Has nothing to do with the weapons allowed. Allamakee County allowed center fire rifles in the late season hunt because the DNR thought more deer needed to be shot. The residents of the area didn't participate. People like you traveled from all over the state to be able to dust off Grandpas 30-30 and shoot a few does with it. If you can't kill a deer in Iowa with the already legal shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows or rifles then time to hit the links or take up fishing.

Judging by your mentality Arec I would have to assume that you are all for crossbows as well. Anybody should be able to lob an arrow with a Raven crossbow at 125 yards. The idea is to kill the deer no matter how.

Let the DNR know your stance on this before Monday. https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/IACIO/bulletins/2af1155 wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov Hunters interested in additions or subtractions are asked to send their request along with a brief justification to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov by Dec. 14, 2020. The first is from House File 716 that directs the DNR to develop a list of cartridges approved for use in rifles to hunt deer in Iowa. The following list of cartridges is proposed for inclusion: .350 Legend .429 DE .35 Remington .44 Wildey Mag .356 TSW .44 Remington Magnum .357 Sig .44 Automag 9x25 Dillion .445 Super Mag 9x23 Winchester .45 Super .357 Magnum .45 Wildey Mag .357 Maximum .450 Bushmaster .357 SuperMag .45 Winchester Magnum .357 Wildey Mag .451 Detonics .357/44 Bain & Davis .454 Casull .375 Winchester .45 Silhouette .38-55 Winchester .458 Socom 10 mm Auto .460 Rowland .40 Super .475 Wildey Magnum .401 Powermag .475 Linebaugh .400 Cor-Bon .480 Ruger .38-40 Winchester .50 GI .41 Remington Magnum .50 Action Express .41 Wildey Mag .50 Beowulf .414 SuperMag .500 JRH .44-40 Winchester .500 Special .440 Cor-Bon .500 Wyoming Express Allowable cartridges for use in handguns that were considered for use in rifles but deemed ballistically dissimilar from allowable pistol or revolver cartridges include (these cartridges are NOT proposed for inclusion to the list of allowable rifles to hunt deer in Iowa): .35 Whelen .356 Winchester .358 Winchester .444 Marlin .45 Raptor .45-70 Govt. .460 S&W Mag .500 S&W Mag

I will preface this post with this....I would really like for Iowa to go back to being a shotgun only state (ya, I know that's not gonna happen)

So just limit the cartridges to:

All .350 to .500 cailber
Maximum 1.8" case length (straight wall only, please) A max straight wall length of 2.106" would allow the 45-70 and the 450 Marlin
And that's it

Here's my take on this posted list of cartridges by the Iowa DNR
If you if know just a little about firearms and cartridges...this posting is screaming something very obvious.

On that list, (2) of the cartridges will dominate 99.5% of the allowable cartidges you will see hunters use in Iowa
As they are very HEAVILY commercially supported with barrel manufacturers....and ammo manufacturers
Hmmm... why is that?

Yes the 458 Socom and .50 Beowulf are on the list, but at this point how much 50 Beowulf and 458 Socom ammo is commercially available, and why not the 375 Socom?

And really?..who is using the .475 Wildey Magnum? (remember that's the pistol Charles Bronson used in Death Wish 3)

The (2) commercially available cartridges are the .350 Legend and the .450 Bushmaster
Please go look up the ballistics on the .350 Legend and compare it to a 450 Bushmaster, or a 12 Gauge slug. (please just do it)

Why were the 45 Raptor, 460 S&W, and the .500 S&W removed from the rifle cartridge list?...
Those 3 cartridges are a TRUE straight wall cartridges, that head space off of the case mouth. And the have a case length of 1.8"..Iowa law before HF716 allowed up to 1.8" case length

The 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster are TAPERED straight wall cartridges with a 1.71" case length, that space off of the case wall. Both were legal cartridges before HF716

Hmmm...why were only (2) commercially produced AR ammo cartridges put on this list of cartridges....(Yes, I know there are some custom ammo manufacturers making .458 Socom and .50 Beowulf)

Think about that for a few seconds....2 commercially mass produced/supported AR cartridges are on the list...the 350 Legend and the 450 Bushmaster
Nobody is using a .475 Wildey mag, since Charles Bronson tipped over...

Come on man! Let's keep it simple

Any .350 to .500 caliber
1.8" case length straight wall, or 2.106" if you want the 45-70
(I'd love to see it stay straight wall, since that limits powder capacity of the case. And therefore, the max range of the cartridge)
And that's it...

Or even better....let's just go back to shotguns slugs only :)

Part of me was also curious if there was pressure being put to create the list so that said Bill pushers could begin to chisel away or add to it this legislative season.

It sure seems plausible, incrementalism at its finest, but I have not heard anything. Doesn't mean it isn't happening though.

Top Bottom