Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Advice

marshall

PMA Member
My plan is to sit dark to dark this weekend, however for sat. I dont have a good stand set up for that wind direction (mostly due to a bulldozer destroying fence rows that has been running this fall ruining my south wind sets). Last night my buddy was hunting the farm and saw a large buck running does in and out of a timber draw that has cedar bedding area on one end of it where i think this buck is bedding. My scent would blow to a larger block of timber that i dont have permission on, but most of the deer come from that direction. So my question
A) do i go and hang a stand there and hunt even on a marginal wind? (20 mph South wind)

B) will a brand new stand have too much of an oder ruining my chances, its new stand fresh out of the box.

I know this is prime time and I can only hunt weekends but will being this aggressive ruin my odds. Should i set a ground blind somewhere else?

What would you guys do?

Go hang it and hunt it! I never hunt a stand on a BAD wind but during the rut you never know where they are coming from... And a marginal wind is something you have to risk every once and awhile. As far as the new stand, i am sure that the new stands smells cleaner than most of our stands we are pulling out of the garage.

Thanks, i am taking a tractor in to hang it this afternoon. Hopefully a loud engine will cover any noise that i make, and not bump the deer too far away. I just havent been able to catch a break with the wind/weather when i actally have time to hunt. Hopefully i can put this big boy down.

I put together and set up a brand new ladder stand one morning..went back for an evening hunt and 2 does below me sniffing and licking the steps.

I shot my archery buck this year out of a stand I set up that same afternoon. Take the risk. It's prime time right now and you never know what would've happened if you don't do it.

Top Bottom