Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need brassica help tonight!

stevep

I got to the farm this evening with the plan on discing up my clover and planting my brassica mix. I'm going to be unable to plant anytime over the next 2 weeks, so I think this might be my best chance.

Obviously rain has been plentiful. I managed to do a first past with the disc, although it is a bit clumpy and obviously still wet. (Not really MUD, but not totally dirt either... if you know what i mean..). I'm going to finish up discing tomorrow morning, but don't know if I should put the seed down and cross my fingers, or wait for dryer times. I'm not sure I'll be able to cultipack it, as it might be too wet for that. I do have an old spring harrow that I could run over it instead of the cultipacker....

What's my best option?

Thanks.

Steve

I would get your seed down if you won't be able to disc again prior to seeding. I disced my plot then waited a week. I have LOTS of grass, I wish I would have just planted right away.

Same here, get the seed down. I tilled and waited for drier weather, Never came. So I threw seed on top. It germinated, but by then so did the weeds! I 'll have to hoe weeds,,that is if it ever stops raining?

I believe you are correct! BUT, ya never know. Usually though once a weather pattern gets established, it hangs in there to excess. Last few yrs anyway.

I wouldn't drag or pack it if the rain could let up - mud will turn to cement and done for those seeds. If it's gonna keep raining, do what u are able and can do and it will come through fine. Risk with planting in mud is it drying up and turning hard BUT I think we're not having that issue, UNIQUELY, during this round of weather, at least where I'm at. You'll most likely be fine however you get it done

Yeah i am in the same boat, neighbor disc'd the plots while I was on vacation and it has been raining since I have got home. I was wanting to run over it with a section of fencing to smooth it out since I don't have a cultipacker, then seed brassica's. But now I am wondering if I just seed right when i get home and take advantage of the abundance of moisture in the ground.

Thanks for the advice guys. With my limited time I went ahead and broadcasted the seed. Didn't really do much more than that. The disc had accumulated a bunch of clover, and I kind of used that as a "brush" to just lightly run over the plot once before heading home. I think if we get some rain I should be OK, but we'll see. There was TONS of good clover in the ground, so I'll be interested to see how I come up as far as nitrogen...

picture.php

The other half of this field will get the cereal grain "DBLTREE Mix". This is my 3rd year of rotating this field, and it's been amazing to say the least. The amount of deer seen / deer sign / activity is really awesome. Just 3 years ago this was basically scrub woods that I had cleared so I'm pretty happy with it's current state.

From 2013:

picture.php

Last edited:
Headed out to the farm tomorrow to see what kind of results I got. Of course, not a drop of rain after I planted, but it's been really wet here, so we'll see. I'll post an update when I get back.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Top Bottom