Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need FOOD PLOT ADVICE?!?!?!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have tons and tons of time. Here's what I am doing on my land this year and why.

Leaving a few acres of standing corn and beans out of my big production fields. My other plots (5 acres or so) will be clover and alf-alfa. Very happy with these 3 items from the past and the time involved is great.

Other factors- tons of deer that kill everything. Limited on equipment. "If it's not broken- don't fix it" in regards to having great success with 3 plots above. I also have 125 apple trees.

Lastly, here's why I don't do other plots:

Brassica, Turnips, rape, beets, etc: Small window (from what I have seen) of when deer liked them, clover/alfalfa is year round magnet for me. And I have to re-plant each year, basically, I just have not been very impressed with them

Oats, rye and Winter wheat: again, smaller window when deer like them and they always went for other plots when given choice.

BOTTOM LINE, what should I try, what have I messed up on, what am I missing, if I have had great luck with corn/beans/clover is that enough and should I stick with that? Other plot ideas? Easy and cheap ideas for more food and more deer on my land?
THANKS!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if I have had great luck with corn/beans/clover is that enough and should I stick with that? </div></div>

I wouldn't change if it's working for you.

There are lots of options not so much because deer "flock" to one type or another but because everyone doesn't have the option of planting corn, beans or alfalfa.

The only way to find out if something is better or more attractive or more effective is to try different things in your situation.

That's half the fun! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom