Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need help!!! Tracking buck shot with muzzleloader in shoulder

Not boosting ego at all. You come on here stating "Need Help". Then when the majority of responders interpret the scenario you laid out and suggest that you hit may not have been exactly where you though it was, you get defensive and insist it was the bullets fault. OK, if that's what you believe keep right on searching for the magic bullet. I'm still waiting for the chance to see how my new Bloodline bullets work. Will let you know if the are as good as their hype. Hope you can find your buck and can comeback and prove you hit the shoulder. Then we all learn more.

Get rid of the XTPs!!! In the past i've been very happy with the performance of all of the Barnes bullets, but currently I'm shooting the hornady 300gr SST with good results. I have 2 recommendations.
1). Start shooting a premium bullet
2). Buy a 17 HMR to practice with all summer. The 17 is cheap and fun to shoot. Practice off the bench and practice in hunt situation (out of a blind, off shooting sticks, off-hand and at the distances your planning shooting). I have experiences with guns the shoot great off the bench, but somehow miss animals????:) As stated above a shot placement is critical. Sorry for the loss of your buck, but learn from it and make the adjustments for next year.

I shot a doe the other week using 240g XTP's and she did not bleed at all even though I pushed through her lungs. I ended up finding her but I had to look hard. I think I might look for a new combination to try too, but I am not sure what I will do. Good luck.

Shot a buck today slightly quartering to right thru the shoulder taking out both lungs he ran spraying blood all the way untill he dropped. Painted the snow red. I shoot a 250gr Barnes TMZ. I used to shoot the SST and XTP bullets which shot well but didnt leave a blood trail ever. The Barnes tears them up. As far as shooting for the shoulder if i dont want that deer going anywhere i will pound them thru the shoulders everytime. Why drag a deer up the hill when you can pile him up on top of the hill!! Shoulder shot is not a problem shooting with a gun.

I shoot hornady ftx rifle bullets, 225 grain .430 dia with green sabots through my .50 cal and the two deer I have shot with them have had big holes going out with a fine blood trail for the 30 or less yards they made it. One was shot through the shoulder and the other just behind.

They drive tacks at a 100 yards. Haven't shot any target past that but I am confident they would be good farther away as well.

I realize that it is only two deer so a hard conclusion can't be drawn from that but they sure performed better than the two powerbelts I put into deer, hardly a blood trail and no pass through. I recovered one deer the other made it into MO river and was gone.

I shoot 7mm rem mag barnes tsx bullets at elk at they go through most of the time but they haven't left me much blood trail at all, however I have never had much of a blood trail from any elk my buddies or I have shot with any bullet used. Their hide seems to always close back up.

A buddy of my shot a dandy of a buck last year that did a face plant then snow plowed off the food plot into the timber. Found a little blood for 100 yards or so then nothing. The same deer showed up at the same food plot a week latter. He dropped it in it's tracks the second time; upon skinning it he found the first slug right above the shoulder at the base of it's neck. Crazy things do happen!

They can be pretty tough. I've lost a couple with shoulder shots and they went down hard and laid there kicking. I'm right behind the shoulder now and yes they might run a little further but haven't lost one yet. I shoot the 195 gr barnes expanders with 84 gr by weight of blackhorn in my 45.

I know of 3 different deer that were drilled directly in the shoulder with a shotgun, 2 were within 30 yards and the deer didn't die. All were bucks. I dont mess around with the shoulder, but then again I rarely use a gun. Too much risk.

I know of 3 different deer that were drilled directly in the shoulder with a shotgun, 2 were within 30 yards and the deer didn't die. All were bucks. I dont mess around with the shoulder, but then again I rarely use a gun. Too much risk.

If a nice buck still looks like he is running pretty good after the first shot nailed him at 30 yards, he's close enough to be able to put a few more shots into him until he drops!

If someone hit a shoulder with almost any legal firearm and did not kill the deer they must have taken out the near shoulder on a quartering away angle or shot a deer on a dead run such that the shoulder was out in front of the chest. The whole concept of a "shoulder shot" is to take out a shoulder on the way into the chest. If you hit the shoulder at such an angle that the chest is not behind it, then you are shooting for the wrong shoulder. A quartering toward, or even perfectly broadside hit in the shoulder joint will penetrate into the chest and major vessels enough to kill a deer pretty quickly. There is no way a slug (or muzzy bullet) stops at the shoulder and fails to penetrate the chest at any reasonable distance. Even if it breaks up, there is enough energy there that the pieces of bullet &/or bone will get the job done. There is a reason that bear guides often use slug guns as a backup weapon. They are that powerful at close range! On a quartering away angle, shoot for the far shoulder so the bullet goes through the chest first.

Just because someone thinks/says they hit the shoulder, doesn't necessarily make it so. There is a lot of front leg that can be broken that doesn't overlay the chest, allowing the animal to run away. Just like a fisherman, you can tell any story you want about "the one that got away". :rolleyes:

As for ruining meat with a shoulder shot, I would rather they drop & die right there than run a hundred yards before dying. I'll trade a handful of lost grinding meat from a shoulder hit for all the blood shot meat that I get from one that runs a hundred yards before dying any day.

If someone hit a shoulder with almost any legal firearm and did not kill the deer they must have taken out the near shoulder on a quartering away angle or shot a deer on a dead run such that the shoulder was out in front of the chest. The whole concept of a "shoulder shot" is to take out a shoulder on the way into the chest. If you hit the shoulder at such an angle that the chest is not behind it, then you are shooting for the wrong shoulder. A quartering toward, or even perfectly broadside hit in the shoulder joint will penetrate into the chest and major vessels enough to kill a deer pretty quickly. There is no way a slug (or muzzy bullet) stops at the shoulder and fails to penetrate the chest at any reasonable distance. Even if it breaks up, there is enough energy there that the pieces of bullet &/or bone will get the job done. There is a reason that bear guides often use slug guns as a backup weapon. They are that powerful at close range! On a quartering away angle, shoot for the far shoulder so the bullet goes through the chest first.

Just because someone thinks/says they hit the shoulder, doesn't necessarily make it so. There is a lot of front leg that can be broken that doesn't overlay the chest, allowing the animal to run away. Just like a fisherman, you can tell any story you want about "the one that got away". :rolleyes:

As for ruining meat with a shoulder shot, I would rather they drop & die right there than run a hundred yards before dying. I'll trade a handful of lost grinding meat from a shoulder hit for all the blood shot meat that I get from one that runs a hundred yards before dying any day.
There is a way, I've seen the deer after the fact. Alive and on trail camera. One of those bucks was killed the following year, the slug was lodged in the shoulder. You can call me liar or tell me I dont know what I'm talking about, that's fine.

There is a way, I've seen the deer after the fact. Alive and on trail camera. One of those bucks was killed the following year, the slug was lodged in the shoulder. You can call me liar or tell me I dont know what I'm talking about, that's fine.

There are "exceptions" to every "rule".

Top Bottom