Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need help with tracking

Bryan95

Shot a buck tonight around 4:00... Thought it was a good shot. Right behind the shoulder at about 20 yards. Buck ran off with my arrow still in him. I tried to trail him until dark but I'm not finding much blood at all. A few drops 50 yards from where I shot him and another drop where he jumped the fence. I felt confident in the shot but the blood and the way there deer acted after has me feeling uneasy. This was my first buck that I had shot with my bow and not exactly sure what to do

If it was from a stand and there was no exit you can't expect a ton of blood with a high entrance right out if the gate. Especially with an over the top expandable head that doesn't open fully until it's through the hide.
Get after it first thing in the morning and try to find his track and stay on it. More than likely he is bleeding internally and didn't make it too far if you hit him behind the shoulder.
Quartered to angle could be one lung/ liver and it may take him a few hrs to die. Hopefully he's in his first bed or dead within 100 yards with a double lung shot.

The shot was from a stand so that could explain some lack of blood. I shot the deer just south corydon in south central ia

I had this exact scenario a few weeks ago. Had 8.5 inches of penetration and arrow stopped and was snapped off. I theorize that I hit behind the shoulder and was stopped by the opposite shoulder bone. Felt 100% about the shot. I waited four hours before tracking and found no blood and no deer. Have searched multiple times and still have no clue what happened. My only advice would be that you should have waited longer before tracking in fear of bumping him before he expired.

Found him about 200 yards away in the middle of the neighbors pasture. Got both lungs arrow passed all the way through but most of the blood was pooled up inside him which is why he was hard to track. I would upload pics but my phone isn't letting me!

Found him about 200 yards away in the middle of the neighbors pasture. Got both lungs arrow passed all the way through but most of the blood was pooled up inside him which is why he was hard to track. I would upload pics but my phone isn't letting me!
what broadhead?

Thanks everyone! Also thanks to those for the advice. Learned that not finding much blood doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't a good hit

Congrats! The opening posts weren't very encouraging. I'm glad you found him and before the coyotes did too.

Top Bottom