Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some advise

rookie10pt

Well we drove by a piece of property to day, that are neighbor said he a couple of whoppers on earlier this year. Saw 28 turkeys and 5 deer, one was a buck that had one side missing. Assuming i get permission: What advise can you guys give me for shed hunting and then later scouting and bow hunting a piece of property i never have set a foot on? Any advise would be helpful:)

sorry but i'm new to all of this

Most likely you will not nail the stand position on your 1st attempt so as mentioned before get out there an observe the deer movement and you can then make your fine adjustments.

A good place to start is to look at aerial photos and find pinch points/funnels, food, heavy cover, inside corners and so on. Bing.com provides a great high defintion aerial view that is very helpful. If you post pic of the aerial on here I am sure folks would be more than happy to give you some pointers as a place to start.

Good luck!!

Sit out there on the highest point you can or good food source and just watch where they are coming from. If your lucky might get some snow and you could stumble on a bedding area or mid day beds and gather a lot of info on that alone. If you get permission to set trail cams as well that would help do your nighttime recon. Things to look for heavy oaks, honeysuckles, water, and pinchpoints where one block of timber connects to another. Pine trees always seem to be a good bet when the weather is bad so I've noticed. fingers of field cut in timber seem to produce fairly good deer movement. Aerial map would be great to help out further

Well we drove by a piece of property to day, that are neighbor said he a couple of whoppers on earlier this year. Saw 28 turkeys and 5 deer, one was a buck that had one side missing. Assuming i get permission: What advise can you guys give me for shed hunting and then later scouting and bow hunting a piece of property i never have set a foot on? Any advise would be helpful:)

sorry but i'm new to all of this

Don't be sorry, everyone has to start somewhere. First off, this is a great time of year to acquire a new piece. I would begin with a basic walk as soon as the snow is gone. Take a printed photo with you and take notes as you go. Write down how the crops are layed out, what was planted in each one, what direction the cover is from the fields, etc. Next I would follow trails to see where they lead, bedding areas, staging areas, water, etc. Take notes on how ridges run, where the majority of scrapes and rubs are, and what type of trees are in certain areas, oaks, cedars, etc. Spend a whole day walking and taking mental notes as well as written about the farm, (you may get lucky and find a few sheds also). Be sure to relate all sign you find with orientation of bedding, food, water, trails directions,etc. After you learn this farm and know it well, I would hang a few observation stands based on predominant wind directions, and amount of sign that you have recorded. A couple would be on edges, and maybe 1 or 2 interior stands based on the size of the farm. As others have stated, look for pinch points between bedding and food, or natural funnels or saddles if this area is rolling. Don't be afraid to ask the landowner where he has spotted deer in the past and pick his brain about the farm, often times vital knowledge can be obtained by talking to the landowner.

Part 2: In August I would begin running cameras. Put out corn if the landowner will allow you. I like to run my "summer no till" corn piles on the edges of fields away where the deer will be bedding. I do not like to run cams in the woods during the summer, but opinions will vary on that, so do as you feel necessary. You will gain vital info on what deer on are on that farm if you leave them out all summer and early fall. I personally check my cams about every 10 days and preferably on rainy days, once again opinions may very.

Part 3: Time to put it all together. Record the data from yours cams, mentally or on paper and hunt according to the patterns you have picked up, travel routes, T.O.D, which food sources are being hit the hardest, etc. You may need to tweak your stands as the season gets rolling, but you never know you may hit a homerun first sit if you have them patterned well.

I guess the best advice you will get is to not cut corners. A new piece of ground is a puzzle that needs to be put together, But I truly believe that what separates the guys that consistently kill trophy animals is being able to put together the pieces and constantly learn from there surroundings and there mistakes. Don't be overanxious, if there is a big deer on your cams or you get visual proof, be patient, wait for the right wind, weather, etc.

There are about 10,000 other things I could say, but this should give you a descent start. Good luck acquiring permission and good luck hunting it if you do. :way:

Last edited:
Top Bottom