Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nephew's First Dirty Bird

DoneRight

PMA Member
Yesterday morning started way to early for me, after packing in blinds and gear Friday night for my 2 nephew's first Turkey Hunt, and first hunt ever. Both got to my house with their father on time and with way to much energy. But they were super excited to be going. We met up with two of my buddy's that were going to help and headed for the feilds. One set -up in a alfalfa field and one in bean stubble. Both well scouted fields. The only concern I had was how fast the fog would burn off.

My youngest nephew had action right away, but just couldn't close the deal due to the fog. Wether it was the bird's wariness or he just couldn't see him I don't know.

My older nephew is a trooper. We were set up on a bean stubble field, where I had seen birds strutting every day for a week. But they weren't there yesterday. We had a lone hen fly down @ 7:37 and came within 5 feet of the blind (if she'd have had a beard she would have been dead). But otherwise it was all silent until 9:00. When a bird erupted about 200 yds behind us. And then, 2 more lit up a few hundred yds away to our left. He really got excited then. We called and they'd answer, but they just werent moving for about a half hour. My nephew was getting excited and just couldn't sit still. I knew where the birds were at and knew we could get to them if we were careful. So we got out of the blind and headed their way. My buddy stayed behind calling to keep them gobbling so I could locate them a little better along the way. We crossed the creek and peeked over the terrace and there was a tom about 40 yds out. He saw one of us move a little, and started pucking. So I pucked back at him to calm him down. He started walking towards us so my nephew got his gun up the terrace and got ready to shoot and wait for my signal. At 30 yds, he let his 20 gauge bark. He dropped his first gobbler in his tracks. His first kill, first bird, and first day hunting in his life. On a spot and stalk. Needless to say I'm very proud of my nephew Payton. He did everything the right way, and I think he's hooked for life.

picture.php

picture.php

The Right of passage
picture.php

Bird weighed 22 lbs, 10" beard, and had 1" hooks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom