Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Never again...

Will I take a deer to someone else to get caped. Took my muzzleloader buck to a local locker to have it done since I had to get going to work, and with a beautiful cape I didn't want to leave it overnight on a warm night and cause slipping to start. Well needless to say that beautiful cape is no more. Don't get me wrong...that locker has done great stuff for us and friends this year, but they will never get another cape from me or friends or family again.

I guess it should have raised a red flag when I went to pick it up and the people referred to it as the one in the "gut room" still. Never really thought much about it, just that it had a strong "smokehouse" smell, which again, didn't think much of it with the "gut" room being next to their smoke house. When I grabbed the deer by the antlers I noticed they were a little sticky, but chalked it up to tag residue or some blood. Took the head to the taxi who is a family friend on the 18th. Got a call tonight after thawing out, he went to look over the cape and was astonished to find this....

401156_559402756619_138801477_31270566_426541508_n.jpg

Apparently someone spilled something from the smokehouse on this deer....and NEVER TOLD ME. The cape is ruined...this yellow spot is all over right under the bib as you can see and said to be all over his ears and was the sticky spot on the antlers. The taxi did all he could to get it out but has chalked it up as a loss and told me he would find me a new cape. Heck he can't even get it off the antlers...prolly going to have to take fine sand paper to it to take a small portion off to get the horns to the original color. I guess take it as a learning lesson and that I will cape every deer myself from here on out. Busy or not I'm not trusting it to a locker ever again. Just a heads up...don't make the same mistake I did!

If you want something done right do it yourself I always say. Nobody has a more vested interest in caping a deer than the person who shot it. Sorry you got screwed by the locker. Did they offer to process your deer for free for screwing up your cape?

from my understanding its not just something that is on the hide or antlers....but has stained it and had time to set in over the 9 days while in the freezer. That's why it was deemed pretty much impossible to get it out.

Reminds me of first deer I shot at age 16. Dad and I took it to a locker for processing. They took it into a smelly cooler and threw it up on a pile of carcasses. After that experience, I got a book on how to butcher myself, and have not visited a locker since,,for anything!

Top Bottom