Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Bow Hunter

O

oliver21117

I received Hoyt Magnatec Bow ZR200 (50-60 lb draw Weight) for Xmas. I have a few questions and concerns since I am new to the sport.

1. Is a 50-60 lb. draw weight sufficient for Deer?
2.What is the average draw weight for the average bow hunter?
3. Am I compromising speed if I do not upgrade to a heavier draw weight.
4. Can I upgrade cams and limbs after becoming familiar with the bow?
5. Any overall opinion on the Hoyt magnatec is it a good choice and where does it stand on quality of bows.

Any hints or tips are appreciated

Thanks again

Avid Hunter

I hope this helps:
1) 50-60lbs is plenty to bring down whitetails.
2)60-70lbs on average (although I drop down 5-8lbs when it gets cold)
3)No
4)Yes, if your bow is a 2002 model I would say the XT2000 limbs are a great choice, The Versacam is a good single cam (allows you to change draw length quite a bit....3-4"?)
5)Owned a lot of Hoyt's...First was a Magnatec. It was medium in Hoyt's line when I purchased it several years back. Don't take me wrong that is a great bow and one that should last you a very long time. Shoot it a lot and HAVE FUN. The memories you create will last a lifetime.

ooops..... you should be able to tighten a 60lb bow to the 62-64lb range. I would rather have it maxed (pulling pounds) as opposed to halfway (i.e.: 62lbs on a bow that maxes out at 72-74lbs) I hope this helps.....I also reccomend a reputable Archery shop. Good advice goes a long ways, but a properly fit bow will make the funner times come easier....hell I should have been a philosophor
cool.gif

We used to hunt with bows in the 40-50 # range when I got started. A good shot and clean release goes clear through a whitetail even at those weights.

I tend to favor the 50-60# range for most of us. The heavier the bow the the more likely you will not shoot it as well. You can usually tell when someone is overbowed by watching them draw. If you have to raise the bow over your head to draw it back you may be heavier than you should be for your best performance.

Bow weight is not a macho thing and heavier does not guarantee good results. Compound bows gave us the ability to use too heavy of weight and get by with it.

Find some experienced bowhunters to spend time with and get their opinions and see what they work with. Joining a local club, going to 3D shoots and other events is a good way to see other folks.

You can get caught up in all the speed, weight, upgrades, new technology etc... to your hearts desire. But the measure of a good bowhunter is doing his best with his skills and good techniques. Most of the tools will do their job if you have the desire and confidence to use them. Focus on getting the arrow where you want it to go and practice, practice, practice. Little else matters.

I shot completely through my deer this year (as usual) with 57# and 160 fps.
wink.gif

Good luck and welcome to a high challenge/high satisfaction adventure.

Thanks for all your help!!!! I look forward to reading future posts and asking my own questions.

Nice 6 pointer on thanksgiving and a new bow for Xmas Not Bad huh!!!!

Great Website!!!!

i killed my first deer with 40#. the hoyt magnatec isagreat bow and you will be happy with it. I'd max it out at 60# and leave everything else alone.

Top Bottom