Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New native field

Tmayer13

We have only owned this farm for just under a year. When I first walked in last winter I remember walking this portion and seeing several native but it was fairly thin. So in March I spread some switchgrass seed and just walked away. Haven't really been back there since other than to track a deer after dark.
This year I decided I wanted to add some more diversity into my bedding. I have TONS of thick cedars on this farm so I wanted to get some good native fields going.
So I went in this weekend and cleared out all the cedars from this field. It was a fairly daunting task but I got it done. While out there I noticed a few different native grasses but I'm not too sure what they are. So what say you guys?
The first pic is what the field looked like before removing the trees.
The second and third are pics of the seed heads
And last pic is the natives standing
17b63665b566c2900ac432664c6c6851.jpg
14948c211ac110bb052d0dd59f0d24be.jpg
7744931edd54282ab088a6eb6fd2efcf.jpg
c2a73b2da8c80d8b861eabc661c44fde.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Did you take all of the Cedars out or just the ones in the low area?
For this particular area just the ones in the low area. I will be going out these every weekend for the next 5-6 weeks and be removing cedars. I have so many it is too thick for any living creature to penetrate them

Not a pro here but I would start over with what I want in there. Burn it, kill it or at least kill it and kill it again in early Fall. Frost seed next year about now. I'd leave enough Cedars to give it a somewhat enclosed feeling..that's a nice area.

Not a pro here but I would start over with what I want in there. Burn it, kill it or at least kill it and kill it again in early Fall. Frost seed next year about now. I'd leave enough Cedars to give it a somewhat enclosed feeling..that's a nice area
My biggest question was what the species were that I posted. Oh ill have plenty of cedars. I could literally cut down 3000 of them and probably not even notice......not joking

Top Bottom