Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Plot

I cleared and planted this plot for the first time last summer, only planting rye around the outside and oats in the middle. I left the rye to get tall this spring/summer for cover and now it is dead and I need to do something with it for the fall. I planted soybeans early summer with some sunflowers broadcast in as well and plan on over seeding brassicas into them this fall.

What would you plant in place of the rye?
FYI this is surrounded in timber, CRP and cedar trees, I will mow and disc in the old rye.

I have not yet planted the 1/4 acre of clover but it is next on the list to do.

Alternate option than starting from scratch.....If you just mow the rye, it will reseed and be a real nice plot for next to nothing. (it's likely going to reseed anyway so if you want something different you will have to deal with the new rye)

Alternate option than starting from scratch.....If you just mow the rye, it will reseed and be a real nice plot for next to nothing. (it's likely going to reseed anyway so if you want something different you will have to deal with the new rye)

I'm entirely fine with the rye reseeding, the only problem is all the weeds that have grown into the rye will most likely shade out any new growth. So my solution was to till it all under and plant something this fall

Top Bottom