Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New property

BOWDUDE

Do to a partnership break-up I had to sell my hunting property.
Do to convenience and my wife's pleading ( she has put up to my driving back and forth for 16 yrs) I had to buy a very small 20 acre tract.
It is split with 10 acres timber and 10 acres of open crop ground.
I think it is 50 acres of beans bordering me. I won't take possession until end of July.

So I need to come up with a food plot plan, I can work the ground if not to dry. But to late for spring plots.
So guess I will be planting this fall.
Any suggestions would be great.

Turnips, rye grass, forage oats, etc. I know that's what we'll be putting in around that time of year. Congrats on the new piece!!

NWBuck

food plots

Are you renting cash renting any tillable?

I would rent out the tillable field and then work with farmer to leave crop. If it is beans, then broadcast seed (brassica/Paul's mix) into the bean stubble in a strategic spot.

At least for a year or two. I think it is important to learn the property and then establish long term food plot location, unless it is just that obvious.

Good luck!

Possession in July gives u plenty of time for dbltree rotation. I would try for access now if u wanted to do any beans. Could do a cash rent agreement if deal didnt close as expected. But ya- dbltree rotation will be Great timing.

Thanks for the info, like Hardwoods said: I like to watch the property for a year and get to know the neighbors before I get carried away.
I think the crop ground behind us is beans this year.
I will get some ground worked and definitely do some turnips this fall.
Bowdude

Thanks for the info, like Hardwoods said: I like to watch the property for a year and get to know the neighbors before I get carried away.
I think the crop ground behind us is beans this year.
I will get some ground worked and definitely do some turnips this fall.
Bowdude

I made that mistake on a property, put in a food plot in an area, where the deer prefer not to be? After 3 years of watching the patterns, I can't explain it, but they must feel uncomfortable with that part of the farm (even though it has CRP and trees near it).

I made that mistake on a property, put in a food plot in an area, where the deer prefer not to be? After 3 years of watching the patterns, I can't explain it, but they must feel uncomfortable with that part of the farm (even though it has CRP and trees near it).

Hardwood,
It appears from the google maps the open farm ground (about 7 acres) looks like a natural funnel to the crop ground behind.
Being I do not want to be married to the plots I am thinking planting the whole thing in prairie
grasses and leave about (2 or 3) half acre plots to play with.

Hardwood,
It appears from the google maps the open farm ground (about 7 acres) looks like a natural funnel to the crop ground behind.
Being I do not want to be married to the plots I am thinking planting the whole thing in prairie
grasses and leave about (2 or 3) half acre plots to play with.

Sounds pretty good to me...Maybe some E Wheat to screen your entrance to stands

Top Bottom