Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Rest

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
I'm very fortunate in that my lovely wife has given me the thumbs up to go ahead and get my new bow when I get back from my next deployment to Alabama to work on oil spill response efforts (20 Sept-12 Oct). I was orginally planning on stripping all but the quiver off my current bow, since the rest, sight, and stabilizer are all no more than 2 years old and in great shape (rest is a little over 2 years old, i think). However, after giving some thoughts to the pros/cons, I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade my rest. I currently have the Trophy Taker Shakey fall-away and mostly love it. I've had a couple of instances, though, where my arrow fell off at inopportune moments so I'm thinking of going with a full-containment rest. It seems one of those would be more appropriate for the still hunting and spot/stalk hunting I do out here where you need to keep an arrow knocked all the time for "those moments". After doing a little research of my own, I decided to throw my thoughts out to you all and ask for your feedback. I'm looking at the QAD Ultra-Rest HD, QAD Ultra-Rest Pro (what's the difference b/w the two?), and the Trophy Taker Xtreme Full Containment Top Slot. The latter two are more in the price range I was thinking, but if there is some benefit to paying the $30 extra for the QAD HD over the Pro or Trophy Taker, I'm all ears. Or if there is something I missed and should look at, please speak up!

And before I forget, I will be living vicariously through you all during those 23 days and counting on you all to help keep me motivated when the days get long (14-15 hour days for 21 straight). So good luck in the upcoming weeks and I look forward to seeing your posts about your success and your kids' success! :way:

I too changed form the Shakey hunter that I loved, but I chose the ripcord instead. Not sure what the price comparison is, but I love the feature on the ripcord that you can "cock" it into shooting position after nocking an arrow. No experience with the others you mentioned.

Last edited:
WOW you guys must be shakey hunters!! I have crawled through the trenches with mine and never had an arrow fall off. If I were to be in the market, I would buy the ripcord red.

I have the QAD and like it, not familiar with many others. The others I have tried don't allow you to draw, let down and redraw without having to reset. Maybe this isn't an issue anymore?

I bought a new bow this summer and had the same thought as you about stripping the old stuff off. Then I decided if I left it all on there, it'd make a nice ready-to-go back up if something happens to the new bow during mid season.

I went with a hostage rest...sort of a modified version of the old Whisker Biscuit. So far, I like it alot. Impossible for an arrow to fall off regardless of how much you tilt the bow. I do think if you were one of those people who shoots a couple hundred arrows a day, every day, the bristles may not be as durable as you'd like them to be. I'm shooting 30-50 a day and have had no problem so far.

NWBuck

DOR and Jake-which QAD do you have and what is the difference between the two I mentioned (beyond ~$30)? I've heard quite a few people talk about their QAD rests with nothing but good to say, but I know very little about them.

Just got the QAD HD so far i like it, i was told the only difference is the pro has a vibration damper and the HD does not

I have had Trophy takers, limb drivers, and my all time favorite is the QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro series(this is how it reads on my rest) that is installed on my Strother SR-71. All the others are great rests, and I have a limb driver on my new PSE AXE 6, carried over from another bow, BUT, the QAD is the best(for me) imo. The containment ability, the option of just drawing it like a regular drop away, or containing the arrow by pushing the containment lever with your thumb, quick releasing the containment feature if you want to put your arrow back in the quiver, it is silent, and just shoots great. I am not sure what the difference on all of the QAD's is. Crackers installed mine, and it is the one he carries in his shop.

I have had a Limb Driver on all of my bows and I have no complaints so far. Very reliable and easy to setup/tune.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have the QAD and I have no complaints. I almost bought the Ripcord but at that time the Ripcord did not allow you to draw, let down, and re-draw, the QAD did. Good luck!!:way:

pse full capture rest . not a fan of pse, but i love the rest. best one ive ever used. my spot hogg failed last year ,and was talked into this one . :way:

Top Bottom