Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Slug-gun

Hunting for close to 20 years with a older Benelli M1 Super 90. Loved it and it was very accurate with a rifled barrel and Core Loct Ultra Rem's. Finally got sick of carrying around such a heavy gun and went out and bought a Winchester sx3 cantelever in 20 gauge. Now shooting Hornady SST's. Awesome auto for deer hunting and would recommend it to anyone.

agree on the savage 220 slug gun. bought one for my kids and they shot well with it last year for gun seasons after I sighted it in and it is a great shooter with accutip slugs. For you guys who have the Boyd stocks added. Did they fit well out of the box or require much modification? Do they need to be sanded and finished when you get them?

I am in the market for a new slug gun. I used to shoot a Mossberg 500 12 gauge but it kicked like a mule so I sold it years ago. Getting back into shotgun hunting.

Which gun would you get and why? Also I am leaning towards going to 20 gauge.
Are you stand hunting? Even if you're not maybe consider a good muzzle loader then you can hunt late ml season too? I don't even carry my slug gun anymore even when we use to push. With a little practice and a few speed loaders you can reload pretty fast. I was posting a spot and shot 3 deer in less than a minute, the last one being 228 yards according to a rangefinder check after the drive was finished.

Last edited:
^^^^I agree with Iowavf. You may want to consider a muzzleloader. The CVA Optima V2 is an excellent choice. Very accurate and affordable, took 1st place in Field & Streams best muzzleloader for the $$$.

If you want a shotgun I'm very happy with my Remington-1187 with a cantilever barrel. Can switch out barrels and use it for bird hunting and not have to worry about re-sighting it in the scope. It's a semiauto, I own a 12ga and my buddy has a 20ga (same guns) and they both work excellent.

Ok, a crazy long shot, but I will toss it out...
I bought a Savage 220 and finally took it to the range this weekend. It did not like the Hornady SST with 3 plus inch groups at 50 yards. But it did like the Federal Trophy Copper 2 3/4 and the 3 inch even better. Just over an inch group at 50. But, it now seems there are none of these slugs to be found in Des Moines. I checked Mills Fleet Farm, Sportsmans, Scheels, Dicks, and Bass Pro. Is anyone aware of these slugs in the Des Moines area? Or does anyone have a box they would sell? I have 1 left, which technically is all I should need, but I prefer a few extra.

Ok, a crazy long shot, but I will toss it out... I bought a Savage 220 and finally took it to the range this weekend. It did not like the Hornady SST with 3 plus inch groups at 50 yards. But it did like the Federal Trophy Copper 2 3/4 and the 3 inch even better. Just over an inch group at 50. But, it now seems there are none of these slugs to be found in Des Moines. I checked Mills Fleet Farm, Sportsmans, Scheels, Dicks, and Bass Pro. Is anyone aware of these slugs in the Des Moines area? Or does anyone have a box they would sell? I have 1 left, which technically is all I should need, but I prefer a few extra.
Might be too late for this season but have you tried Remington accutips? 3 out of the 4 guys that shoot 220s in our group have the best results with those.

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys! I do already have a very accurate CVA muzzy which I do use for stand hunting. I wanted a slug-gun because there are situations where you need a quick follow-up shot or two or three. My biggest buck to date took 3 as fast as I could pump them, deer just stood and I killed it on the 3rd shot. I did not make the purchase this year, I actually just bought a house in IA and will be resident next year (finally) after 7 years of living in MN just over the border. If I remember next year I will try to post the range results of the new gun.

Top Bottom