Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new to bowhunting have qustions

C

clint

I have found a little woodlot on a farm in southwest Ia it is only about 30ft by 60ft there is a pond about 50 yards away and picked corn all around. there is a lot of fresh rubs in the lot but no visible scrapes. my question is do i set up by the rubs or more towards the corn and pond . any advise would be greatly appriciated

Clint,

I would guess that with a woodlot that small there must be larger timber or brush nearby.... I would almost guarantee that the deer are visiting this area after dark....... you might try setting up on the downwind side and see if anything shows up around dusk some evening....... good luck and check out the surrounding topography........

I'm with cornfed. There is additional cover somewhere that they are using. If you have permission on more ground I'd keep looking around to get the big picture.

I'm big on using observation stands. See if you can find a spot to watch this area from a distance and down wind. Once you know when and how the deer use it you can move in and set up with a better chance of taking a deer before they figure out what you are up to. If the observation stand doubles as a hunting stand all the better.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Buck

old buck, I know this area very well, it is my grandfathers farm, and there is no other timber or cover within miles. I am baffled I just got back tonight and once again I saw nothing , I did find a scrape down by the pond under a lone tree, but no where to set up around it. is it possible the deer bed in the grassy terraces or standing corn ?

Deer can bed in just about nothing. They bed in fencelines when all the crops are gone.

Good suggestions already made.

The rut usually brings these areas a little more daylight activity.

We have set up ground blinds near the last standing corn or the area that held deer before and they would come out shortly before dark. Try rattling and grunting or even decoying as the rut comes on.

Top Bottom