Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to Food Plots

abrendes

Last year in late July I planted a brassica mix for the first time and I have been very satisfied on how the deer are using it. This spring I would like to put something down for the deer and weed control until it's time to plant the brassicas again. Can anyone give me some tips and ideas of how best to move forward? Thanks.

Frost seed some clover

And seriously...start reading through the many, many threads on this site, in particular those found in Dbltree's Corner. I think someone could probably read for several days straight through and maybe not get through all of the good advice there.

And seriously...start reading through the many, many threads on this site, in particular those found in Dbltree's Corner. I think someone could probably read for several days straight through and maybe not get through all of the good advice there.

Man I have read the threads time and time again...there is not a better source of info on food plots out there and trust me I looked! I agree with the frost seeding of clover! It will get piles of attention well into November depending on the weather! I know you said your going to put brassicas in but maybe look into adding another plot of them as well as having a clover plot you won't be disappointed

I went with crimson clover as a spring cover crop ahead of multiple turnip/radish plots this past year. I could not have been happier with the results. This is just one option of many.

Weed control. It is inexpensive. It is an annual so it will grow extremely fast. It will fix a whole bunch of nitrogen.

Mid June Crimson- Spring planted

06-24-2015-%20Crimson%20clover%20at%20creek%20crossing_zpsi2i0flzs.jpg

Same plot- Tilled in crimson, planted brassica mix in mid July- Pic from late August (still growing)

08-20-2015-%20Brassicas_zpsmzgpjidj.jpg

Last edited:
I second what others have said earlier on two accounts:

1 Clover is a great spring crop that will fix nitrogen for your brassicas next fall and provide good forage for your herd this spring and summer

2 Dbltree's Corner has more information than you will likely ever need....Paul was crazy good, and he was a tremendous man for sharing it all in great detail with the average food plotter like us.

Top Bottom