Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to foodplots

biggest buck

Ok so heres the deal. I have some ground (65 acres roughly)that I've hunted since 2008. I Have seen some giants and harvested a couple pigs out of the area. The past 2 yrs a ton of hunters began hunting the surrounding properties and have been shooting the heck outta does. Approximately 60 in the last 2 yrs. And since then we havent seen near the deer as the first 2 yrs. So I'm looking for some type of plot that may keep the deer somewhat on the property during bow season. It does not get gun hunted and neither does the surrounding area.
I have no idea where to begin other than the mowing, and cutting just a few cedar trees down.

The area is mostly very hilly with drainage ditches. However the top of the ridge runs all the way from East to West.
There is an opening on top with full sunlight that is about 50 yds wide at widest narrowing down to about 20 yds, approximately 100 yds long. The rest of the top ridge is timbered. The available area needs mowed and disced, which will have to be done with a 4 wheeler as there is NO way to get anything bigger up on top as it is very steep. The nearest corn/bean fields are about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away to the East.
Heres a photo of the area with current stand locations and the black lined areas are what I want to plot. Any suggestions?

picture.php

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
As I keep looking at your plots. It wouldnt be a bad idea to rotate the smaller two with one plot being in a winter blend (turnips,brassicas, etc.) and the other being an early/late fall blend (wheat, rye, peas, hairy vetch, etc.). As for the big chunk...you could easily break that up with cedars (kinda like Erick suggested) and then rotate each individual plot with different blends or standing beans/corn is always a great plot to hunt over.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leaning towards turnips and corn on the top field as you suggested. I'd like to cut that in half with cedar trees but I dont own the land and dont want to invest too much into it, the owner has talked about his daughter building a house at the top right where I wanna put the larger plot. So anyways thanks alot you two!

Top Bottom