Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New to IA

Marleyman

Hi there everyone, I am new to both hunting and Iowa and was hoping I could get a little bit of advice from you seasoned veterans.

My first and biggest concern is my ability to get a resident license. I moved here on August 9th so I will meet my 90 day residency requirement on November 7th, will there still be licenses available at that time or is the quota usually filled immediately? I took the hunters Ed class in Illinois last fall as I was planning on hunting there with my friends this year, is that hunters Ed class sufficient to meet the requirements in IA?

I have plenty more questions but they are all worthless if I cannot get a license so if anyone can shed some light on this issue for me that would be much appreciated.

Will you be shotgun, muzzleloader, or archery hunting?

I am unsure if the Illinois HE class is sufficient for Iowa, you may check with the DNR. You can pick up a 2010 hunting guide at any walmart or sporting goods store, this should give you all the info you need to get started.

Getting a buck tag is no issue, there is no quota for residents. You can get one for bow and one for one of the gun seasons. Doe tags have a quota for each county so you will have to check based on where you are hunting. Most of the southern counties wont sell out by November. Your hunter safety in IL will also be good for IA.

Hunter's Safety classes from other states ARE VALID in IA. i got mine in MI. Just make sure you bring proof to the sports store. Make sure you get to DMV asap to get your IA driver's license. They will have to call in to the DNR to switch your status to Resident if you were previously a NR in the system.

Thanks guys for your help so far. I already have my IA drivers license and I will dig out my Hunters Ed card from the IL class so I can get everything going when November 7 rolls around.

Talonted: I will be archery hunting, but may also take out the shotgun if I get the opportunity.

Thanks again guys!

Top Bottom