Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new to muzzleloader hunting

buttski52751

Im new to muzzleloader hunting. I won a CVA Optima at a DU banquet. I have shot it a few times, I was just wondering what kind bullets, powder, and caps everyone uses with there Optima??? What kind of scope does everyone use also??? Im looking into the Nikon Omega, just wondering what everyone thinks of this scope??? I was also wondering what the rules were about hunting both the early and/or late season muzzleloader along with 1st season shotgun??? I heard that you can go early muzzleloader along with one of the shotgun seasons, as long as one of the seasons is an any sex tag and the season is a doe only. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

As for a scope if you're wanting one with the bullet drop compensation dots I chose the Leupold Ultimate Slam over the Nikon Omega and they're both in the same price range. However my new Savage this year is topped with a Burris 30mm with the BDS system. I like the Burris and the Leupold it's just that the Burris draws more light.

Hope this helps
Tommy Thompson

I've setup 3 Omegas and all shoot powerbelts pretty nice. 245 grn aero tips. Buy the smallest quantity you can get whatever you try until you find one that shoots well. There's some good powders out there also, I've stayed with 777. I've never had any problems with 777 and it's availible in most sporting good stores.

ML scopes are another story. Bullet drop reticals are a nice gimic IMHO. I'm not saying they don't work or you can't rely on them. But no fancy gadget scope will replace a good rifleman that has practiced with his rifle. So I suggest buying a nice affordable scope (there's some pretty nice ones with good glass for 150.00), work up a good consistant load for your gun and just shoot it a bunch.

Practice make perfect..............

I topped my new Vortek last season with a Nikon Omega. Sighted it in at 100 yds, and the first two rounds I shot at deer with it during shotgun season were 200yds and 218 yds (218 off-hand). Got 'em both. Not too shabby being able to sight the muzz in at 100 yds and being able to just put a pre-determined 200yd cirlce on em and squeezing. I love it! Just have to make sure you use the correct powder charge and grain of bullet that the scope suggests.

Buttski,

You can only get one any sex gun tag. Whether it be early or late muzzleloader or shotgun season. The other any sex tag has to be with Bow. You can't get two gun season bucks tags unless you are a landowner and qualify for a landowner tag......

You can get doe tags for various gun seasons.....and always party hunt.... Hope this helps..

Keep in mind that the early muzzleloader season has a limited number of tags, so if you want to go early, you need to buy your tag as soon as they become available.

Buy yourself a bunch of different brands of muzzleloader bullets and try them all to find out which ones group best. Maybe try different powder measurements too. All muzzeloaders shoot differently from one to the next. What works good in one gun may not work best for another similar gun. One brand will always stand out from the rest.

Just don't shoot one bullet brand and decide to stick with it.

Im new to muzzleloader hunting. I won a CVA Optima at a DU banquet. I have shot it a few times, I was just wondering what kind bullets, powder, and caps everyone uses with there Optima??? What kind of scope does everyone use also??? Im looking into the Nikon Omega, just wondering what everyone thinks of this scope??? I was also wondering what the rules were about hunting both the early and/or late season muzzleloader along with 1st season shotgun??? I heard that you can go early muzzleloader along with one of the shotgun seasons, as long as one of the seasons is an any sex tag and the season is a doe only. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I've owned 2 muzzleloaders (both T/C Omegas) and have always used a lower-end Nikon. I think you'll be very pleased with the Nikon Omega.

Top Bottom