Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Washers and Hunting Clothes

Iowaide

My hunting partner has a new high efficiency front loading washing machine that you are not supposed to use regular laundry detergent in. He was wondering if anyone else out there has tried using any of the "scentfree hunting detergents" in your newer washing machines like his. Has anyone come across this yet? Or is it a big deal? I think he is trying to avoid shampooing his new carpet with scentfree soap!

Its not a problem just dont put a lot in. I thought the same thing. Then It came to me that i just spent a grand on a dang machine that I cant wash my hunting gear in. I SAID ENOUGH WITH THE BS AND JUST WENT FOR IT. All is well.

We have them also, Wildlife Research Center makes a Liquid that's for HE machine Less than $ 6.00 a bottle at Sportsman's or you can use the powder.

We bought one of these washers and I had already purchased a bottle of Hunter Specialties detergent. My wife told me not to use it cause it didn't say HE on the detergent label. I contacted HS and they said it would be fine for use with the HE machine. My wife's comments: "What did you think they would say?" and "Will they replace the washer if it messes it up?"
wall.gif

She went out and bought some scent free HE detergent but I suspect it has UV brighteners in it. I just do laundry when she isn't home, using less than the label states.
waytogo.gif

I bought some HE detergent at Bass Pro Shops in Council Bluffs, as we just got a new washer. That is the only place that I have found it.

Used the old stuff on the new HE washer last night, nothing blew-up yet. I have a little of the old stuff left I'll use and then get the HE.

i used the normal detergent in ours, didn't really seem to be any problem, i don't really know i'm not a washingmachineoligist. i'll look one up and ask him!

Do you wash a load of regular clothes in the scent free to clean out the washer before washing your hunting clothes? I did this in the past but wasnt sure on these new HE machines.

Have you looked at your clothes under a black light to check? I have tried several times but cant really tell. The whites in the camo always seem to show the light.

I just run the washer empty with a dose of scent free and some old Ghost scent free spray in the softener dispenser. Then I wash my camo. I have no idea if it helps but it helps me between the ears.

As far as black lights, I don't go near my stuff with a black light. Certain things fluoresce that shouldn't be on camo.

The 'Bonker

I read on another forum that a person should wash their hunting clothes with oxiclean, as it it basically hydrogen peroxide (a major component in the home brew recipe for scent killer). I'm usually reluctant to cite Wiki, but here it is anyways:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OxiClean

Now if they scent it, then that pretty much defeats everything. I have no experience with Oxiclean.

Who's gonna be the guinea pig??

The scent killing industry......biggest fraud of all time.
"forget your scent....just hunt the wind"

I use a mixture of borax and baking soda and am satisfied with the results. No added scents, no UV brighteners, and best of all... its cheap.

Top Bottom