Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newby question

Fishbonker

Life Member
This is my first year for bow hunting. I've taken quite a few deer by filling the air full of lead and hopeing something runs into it, but I have zero experience with treestand bow hunting. Here is my question: I have three bow tags, one regulat and two doe only. Will shooting a deer from the stand cause other deer to avoid the same area? Will I have to move my stand after I "harvest" a deer? I don't even think for a minute that I'l be lucky enough to get even one deer my first year out, but if I'm carefull and don't let the deer "pattern" me and luck shines upon me is it possible to get more than one deer from the same stand?

On a related topic, I was sitting in a different stand the other day and saw three does about 50 yards away. I heard a sound like a cow coughing up its cud. The does didn't seem to react to the sound but they did start to move out of the area. Was this sound a warning sound or was it a doe coughing up its cud?

Thanks for any info.

The 'Bonker

You have entered a world where ANYTHING is possible!
My brother-in-law killed a huge buck when it came right back in after hitting it low + back.
We have taken deer during late muzzle loader the day after bow killing a deer from the same stand.
I have a huge buck on film being grunted in on a BLOOD Trail of a hot doe killed the night prior! go figure? I would consider this the exception not the norm.
I put up another stand today. Thats makes 7. I have a self-climber and a fixed I save for "attack" stands. I'll hang them for a quick fix if needed instead of moving the one thats up.
So guess what! next year you might consider a couple more stands.
grin.gif

On the other hand, You have to be in them to kill a deer so 25 unhunted stands are not much good either.
Drag the doe as far as you can prior to gutting it. I would'nt fret over it. Try and shoot her as soon as possible. My partner and I combined have around 10 deer from one stand. Some are "smart to it" saddly he estimated one last year to be min. 170!
Guess how many of thouse stands and in that area! I won't be filling my doe tag out of any of those.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 10-01-2001).]

Top Bottom