Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Next steps??? Need advice...

stevep

So I've just had 2 1/2 acres opened up for a food plot. I've got my soil test results back, and I'm planning on getting lime down as soon as possible.

This area was overgrown pasture that had cedars and other brush / junk on it. My question is... WHAT DO I DO NOW??? My intention is to have it in clover, but should I do a frost seeding, or do I need to wait until fall? I didn't spray anything before bulldozing. I didn't know if I should let it come up and then spray it, or frost seed the clover now, while it's bare dirt...?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

forum

forum

Go to dbltrees brassica thread and plant an acre with his rotation... then i would rotate corn and beans in the rest

I've read every page of Doubletree's posts... I want to do clover. My question is really... do I try for a frost seeding of clover in a month or so, or do I need to let it grow up and then kill / spray it?

Thanks.

Steve

Frost seeding would be your best bet... the clovers will be the first thing up in the spring and by the time it gets warm enough for the weeds to grow, your clovers should out compete them and should save you some money on herbicides

If you can mow it this spring/summer I would go ahead and frost seed it say in mid-February or so. Then I assume you will get some undesirable things growing along with the new clover. I would think you would be able to mow though a few times this year and control any weeds that you make get that way.

If you get some grasses growing then you can control that by spraying Select, or the generic equivalent. As long as you mow, you should be able to be successful though.

That will be dynamite but be wary, looks like some good bedding cover right next to the food you might be running deer out all over the place!

It is some good bedding cover, but I've got to work with the space that I've got!!!

I think it'll be a great spot if I can get some food growing in there.

Hey question about frost seeding? How much seed lost do you get? I'm infested with turkeys? And when frost seeding do you use the pheasant forever seeder or do you just broadcast it ?

Hey question about frost seeding? How much seed lost do you get? I'm infested with turkeys? And when frost seeding do you use the pheasant forever seeder or do you just broadcast it ?

Frost seeding clover? I wouldn't worry about any birds getting enough of that to harm anything. Clover is a very small seed. Now broadcasting a bigger seed like rye can lead to a turkey swarm. :D

I use either a hand held bag seeder or in some cases an ATV mounted spin seeder. Both work, but you will have to experiment a little not to overseed. IMO, overseeding clover is not that big of a deal, except that it just wastes some of your money. Now then, overseeding brassica, also a small, hard seed like clover, will negatively impact your plot. Too much seed there will lead to overcrowding and less growth.

It's hard to mess up on clover though. (Note - this explains why my most successful plots are clover! :D)

Top Bottom